Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home network set-up problems

• Please log in to reply

suave_finesse

suave_finesse

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hullo Blessed Geeks:

I have a Vaio XP2 desktop connected to a D-link wireless router (DI-524) and a Linksys (RT31P2 - Vonage box).

I have a laptop (XP2) and can access the web via the D-Link wireless router.

I tried setting up the home network and after completing all the set-up -- when I click on Start -- My Network Places -- View Workgroup computers, the desktop gives an error "Mshome is not accessible. You might not have permission...Contact administrator..."

Under user settings, I made sure I have the administrator rights. I also made sure the firewalls were turned off and the workgroups had the same names etc.

Please help - many thanks in advance - may your tribe increase.
SF

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello suave_finesse and welcome to G2G, :tazz:

I need a little additional information to ascertain whether or not I will be able to assist you,
in correctly setting up your File Share Home Network.

Please Answer the following default questions, that you have not already provided answers for:

1) What operating System's do you have on all PC's being connected to the File Share Network, Please include any Windows Updates or Patches (Example..XP SP1 or 2)?
Windows XP SP2 on both Pc's right

2) What are the Model and Manufacturer of the Wireless / Wired Adapter's currently
Installed on all PC's being Included in this Network?

3) What is the Model and Manufacturer of the Router, Switch, or Hub you are using?
D-link wireless router (DI-524) is this right

4) What IP Configuration are you using (Example.. DHCP, PPoE / Static, Automatic)

5) What antivirus programs do you have running?

6) What firewalls do you have running?

7) What pop-up blockers, Ad Blockers, and Malware detectors do you have running?

8) What is the model and manufacturer of all the printers you are wanting to Share?

9) What steps have you already taken to try and implement the File and Print Share Ability
for your network?
Ran network setup wizard, set same workgroup names, disabled firewalls and set admin rights.

PLEASE ANSWER QUESTIONS 1-11 THOROUGHLY, TO HELP ME BETTER PROVIDE
YOU WITH A WALKTHROUGH ON HOW TO SETUP YOUR FILE AND PRINT SHARE
NETWORK .

suave_finesse

suave_finesse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
1) What operating System's do you have on all PC's being connected to the File Share Network, Please include any Windows Updates or Patches (Example..XP SP1 or 2)?
Windows XP SP2 on both Pc's right
Response: Yes, Correct

2) What are the Model and Manufacturer of the Wireless / Wired Adapter's currently
Installed on all PC's being Included in this Network?
Response:

The desktop Vaio PC is hardwired to the Linksys Router (Vonage box) -- it has a Intel® PRO/ 100 VE Network Connection adapter and a 1394 Net Adapter The Intel is connected and working.

The laptop (Toshiba Satellite M45-S2693) has Intel Pro/Wireless 2200 BG Network adapter

3) What is the Model and Manufacturer of the Router, Switch, or Hub you are using?
D-link wireless router (DI-524) is this right
Response: Yes, Correct

4) What IP Configuration are you using (Example.. DHCP, PPoE / Static, Auto)
Response: Dynamic IP (My ISP is Comcast // Cable modem)

5) What antivirus programs do you have running?
Response :
Norton Anti Virus on the desktop Vaio(Subscription expired, thank you very much)
McAfee on the laptop.

6) What firewalls do you have running?
Response: Zone Alarm / Windows (on both)

7) What pop-up blockers, Ad Blockers, and Malware detectors do you have running?
Response: Spybot and Adaware (on both)

8) What is the model and manufacturer of all the printers you are wanting to Share?
Response: Its a new Lexmark X7170 (it has a wireless print server box that I am unable to fire-up, but thats a separate problem)

9) What steps have you already taken to try and implement the File and Print Share Ability
for your network?
Ran network setup wizard, set same workgroup names, disabled firewalls and set admin rights.
Response: Yes, correct

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
welcome Back suave_finesse,

There are many things that could be blocking you File SHare ability and Posting in a Forum (for a topic of this nature) can sometimes be a lengthy Back and forth Process. I am willing to stick it out to the end If you are. So here we go.

We Will start with the most basic troubleshooting steps, that you may have already performed, but I still need you to follow along with me, so I know for sure that the topic has been checked and has NOT been missed. Thanks.

Process 1 - Verification of same Workgroup and different Computer Names
:

Heres How:

When you try to access a resource on your network, you must be a member of the SAME workgroup, as all the other computers in the network. Each Computer must also have it's own speical identity.

1. Click on the START Button
2. Click on CONTROL PANEL
3. Double click the SYSTEM Icon
4. Click the COMPUTER NAME tab
5. Write Down the FULL COMPUTER NAME AND WORKGROUP for the Desktop (now referred to as the Primary PC)
6. Repeat these Steps for the Laptop as well (now referred to as the Secondary PC)
7. Verify that you have the EXACT same Worgroup Name on Both Primary and Secondary PC's
8. In your next post, please create a reply Labelled <REPLY 1> and let me know if such is the case.
9. From the Same COMPUTER NAME tab on Both PC's we must now verify that both of them Have different FULL COMPUTER NAMES
10. In your next post, please create a reply Labelled <REPLY 2> and let me know if such is the case.
11. Close Out the System screen now. and move on to Process 2.

Process 2 - Verification of Enabled Folder Sharing:

Heres How:

When you try to access a resource on your network, you must have folder sharing enabled and correctly configured.

1. On the desktop of the computer you are trying to connect to, right-click on the START Button
2. Click EXPLORE
3. Double-click the disk on which the folder is saved
4. Right-click the folder that you want to connect to, and then click Sharing, or Sharing and Security.
5. Click Share this folder, make a note of the name in the Share Name box, and then click OK.
6. Repeat these steps fo the secondary Pc as well.
7. Leave the Start Menu Screen open and Move on to Process 3.

Process 3 - Verification of PC Availibility:

Heres How:

When you try to access a resource on your network, you must determine if the PC your connecting to is available or unavailable.

1. With the START MENU screen still open from Process 2 Click on the TOOLS Menu in the Upper Center
2. Scroll down to MAP NETWORK DRIVE and click on it
3. In the FOLDER box, type:..... \\computer\share ......where computer is the name of the computer that you want to connect to, and share is the name of a shared folder on that computer.
4. Click FINISH
5. In your next post, please create a reply Labelled <REPLY 3> and let me know the results
6. Repeat these procedures for the secondary Pc
7. In your next post, please create a reply Labelled <REPLY 4> and let me know the results

Please follow the above steps and post the requested <reply responces> as directed and we will continue on from there. Thanks.

suave_finesse

suave_finesse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Space cowboy: Many thanks for all the time and effort you are putting in to help me - I sincerely appreciate it.

Reply 1: Workgroup name is same on both computers: HOME
Reply 2: Desktop and Laptop have different "Full computer names" (Homedesktop and Deep)
Reply 3 and Reply 4: Unable to network - I get an Error Message on both computers which says "The Network Path \\computer name\shared folder could not be found" (I have entered the correct name and shared folder.

What am I doing wrong?

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Sorry so long on the reply suave_finesse, I have been very busy the last couple days. Lets move on to Process' 4 and 5.

Process 4 - Ping tests to IP Addresses (Firewall Enabled)

To Be completed on Primary PC.
1. Click on START
2. Click on RUN
3. Type in:... IPCONFIG ...:and hit ENTER
4. Copy down the results and leave the CMD Screen open.

To Be completed on Secondary PC
5. Click on START
6. Click on RUN
7. Type in:... IPCONFIG ...:and hit ENTER
8. Copy down the results and leave the CMD Screen open.

To Be completed on Primary PC.
9. Type in:... PING <insert ip address of Secondary pc> -l 32 -n 100 ...:remove the <>
10. Copy the results in a post labelled <REPLY 1>

To Be completed on Secondary PC.
11. Type in:... PING <insert ip address of Primary pc> -l 32 -n 100 ...:remove the <>
12. Copy the results in a post labelled <REPLY 2>

Process 5 - Ping tests to IP Addresses (Firewall Disabled)

Follow these steps to (REALLY) Disable Windows Firewall on Both Computers
1. Click on START
2. Click on RUN
3. Type in:... SERVICES.MSC ...:and hit ENTER
4. Under LOCAL SERVICES name, scroll down to:... Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
5. Right Click on it 1 time and Select PROPERTIES
6. Under Service Status, click the STOP Button
7. Under Startup Type, select DISABLED
8. Click on the APPLY button and then the OK button.
9. Close Out the LOCAL SERVICES Window.
10. Restart the computer

Follow these steps to (REALLY) Disable ZoneAlarm Firewall on Both Computers
1. Click on START
2. Click on RUN
3. Type in:... MSCONFIG ...:and hit ENTER
4. Click on the SERVICES Tab
5. Put a Check in the "Hide all Microsoft Services" Box
6. Scroll Down to the Service named: TrueVector Internet Monitor : and uncheck it
7. Click on the STARTUP Tab
8. Scroll Down to the Startup Item named: zlclient :and uncheck it
9. Click on the APPLY button and then the OK button.
10. Restart the Computer

NOW REPEAT PROCESS 4 AND COPY THE RESULTS IN A POST LABELLED
<REPLY 3> for reply 1, and also <REPLY 4> for reply 2.

Perform these additional tests with Both Firewalls Disabled

From the Primary PC
1. Right-click on the START Button
2. Click on the TOOLS Menu in the Upper Center
3. Scroll down to MAP NETWORK DRIVE and click on it
4. In the FOLDER box, type:..... \\computer\share ......where computer is the name of the computer that you want to connect to, and share is the name of a shared folder on that computer.
4. Click FINISH
5. In your next post, please create a reply Labelled <REPLY 5> and let me know the results
7. In your next post, please create a reply Labelled <REPLY 6> and let me know the results

From the Secondary PC
1. Right-click on the START Button
2. Click on the TOOLS Menu in the Upper Center
3. Scroll down to MAP NETWORK DRIVE and click on it
4. In the FOLDER box, type:..... \\computer\share ......where computer is the name of the computer that you want to connect to, and share is the name of a shared folder on that computer.
4. Click FINISH
5. In your next post, please create a reply Labelled <REPLY 7> and let me know the results
7. In your next post, please create a reply Labelled <REPLY 8> and let me know the results

To Turn your firewalls back on just repeat Process 4 and do the opposite of steps 6 and 7 for the windows firewall and steps 6 and 8 for the ZoneAlarm Firewall.

POST ALL REPLIES......