Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Scrolling on network drive is slowwww

• Please log in to reply

nyspy

nyspy

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I have 4 brand new XP PRo machines networked to a Win2000 domain controller server. The machines scream except for one annoying error. When I look at one specific network drive, scrolling temporarily freezes- then goes to where it should be when I click on the slider bars. This occurs each time I try to scroll the network drive. Scrolling local drives is not a problem.

The problem is also only on two of the machines- all 4 were equipped with same access rights and programs. I even switched the CPUs to make sure it wasn't in the wiring, and it's definitely on the box. I even tried running the systems after hours to make sure it's not network traffic.

It seems as if some process running locally is halting the network drive from scrolling correctly. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, because I am at a loss. Thanks.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
disconnect and then remap the drives...does that make a difference?

If not, disconnect the the two problem machines, then disconnect a working machine, then reconnect (remap) one of the non working machines

does it improve things? If so the issue may be an overtaxed network.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is this a REALLY large network drive? like a bigger file server type of drive? if so...that could be the reason..

nyspy

nyspy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I wound up shutting down all clients and restarting the server. It seems to be working now. Thanks.