Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sfc /scannow not taking data from XP disk SP1

• Please log in to reply

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
HI everyone

I just ran sfc /scannow and it said to put my XP disk in, which I did. Then it said it was the wrong disk. UH??

Could it be that since I updated, using the windows site, and installed SP2, that the files on the disk are outdated?

How would I fix the the missing/corrupted files? Do I have to uninstall XP SP2? Don't tell me that..please. Been there...did it once before....not fun.

I built this system in 2000. It runs pretty good. It's a P4, 1.7 gig, 1.0 gig RAM, 80 gig HD. DVD-RW/CD-RW.

Had XP on it since 2000. SP2..I think I put on in early 2005 or late 2004.

Did an AVG virus scan, adaware scan, spybot scan, panda on line scan and ran spyblaster. Nothing found.

Thanks for any help, in advance.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
coffeedrinker...

SP2 is the problem in this case. For replacing bad system files, there are only a couple of automated processes...System File Check and the Repair Installation. SFC will not run unless you remove SP2 (in your case because of the update) and the Repair Installation will run, but will remove SP2 without asking. :tazz:

If it's the download that bothers you, you should get the SP2 IT version and burn it to a CD so you'll have it when you need it.

What's happened to your machine that you find it necesary to run the System File Check?

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 20 February 2006 - 01:38 AM.

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
HI wannabe1 Thanks for the quick reply.

I asked a question ealier on my CPU usage spiking and was just trying to find something that could be doing it.

Found when I looked at my Event viewer, applications, that I had some warnings and errors. Click on Microsoft support and they had nothing on these.

Found somewhere that you should run sfc /scannow to fix these.

Some of there errors are.

TraceLevel parameter not located in registry; Default trace level used is 32.

TraceFileName parameter not located in registry; Default trace file used is .

Fault bucket 251122662.

Really don't want to mess with changing back to SP1, doing the repair thing, is there something else that could be done?

Thanks again for your help

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
coffeedrinker...try this suggestion from another Staff member (Thanks, Keith!)

You will need to get your XP CD and locate the folder called: I386

This is a major folder and should be one of the first you see, now copy this onto your hard drive into the system root. For most, that is going to be C:\ so you should end up with a folder that looks like: C:\I386

Now you will need to tell your computer you now have the files on your PC. We do this in the registry.

Click Start, then Run, type regedit, and click "Ok".

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows, then CurrentVersion, and click on Setup

You will see various entries here in the right pane. The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, and that is why it is asking for the XP CD. All we need to do is change it to: C:\

Double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up allowing you to make the change.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

wannabe1

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
thanks wannabe1 Thanks Keith

That sounds good to me. I'm downloading the SP2 IT file, just in case.

Will post after I do a sfc and let you know.

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hi wannabe1 and Keith

Did as you suggested. sfc /scannow ran by itself.

Check the event viewer and still have some warnings and errors.

Also, while I was typing this message a few mins ago, firefox just shut down by itself. Had to reopen it and try again. This was one of the things I was trying to fix.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Probably worth re-installing Firefox

Run disc clean up and disc defragmenter in between removing it and re-installing

The next part is optional but will help eliminate a few things in one go

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then also from system tools, run disc defragmenter

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm then reboot.

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Thanks Keith

Will get back with you after I do all of that.

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Keith

That's a nice program. Thanks for telling me about it. It found 757 problems, ran it again and found 1 more. Might just have to buy it.

Now. After doing everything you said, opened my event Viewer and there are still warnings and errors. Here they are.

Applications

Warning

TraceLevel parameter not located in registry; Default trace level used is 32.

TraceFileName parameter not located in registry; Default trace file used is .

System

Error

The server's call to a system service failed unexpectedly.

Warning

The SNMP Service is ignoring extension agent dll C:\WINDOWS\System32\dhcpmib.dll because it is missing or misconfigured.

Thanks for all your help. The computer is running better, but like to find out how to get these gone.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try running sfc again, it may have a better run without 758 errors

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hi Keith

Ran sfc /scannow again and then ran Tune Up 2006 and it found 3 errors, rebooted. Same warning and errors listed as above. I checked the times on the listings to make sure these are new messages.

Should I run sfc /scannow again and repeat until there's no problems listed in Tune UP 2006?

The computer works fine, just trying to get these things cleaned up.

Thanks for all your help.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you look at any event logs for any PC they will have something in them

I would run Tune Up just as you log off and then when you boot up

See if this helps

"This Utility Restores (WinSock and TCP/IP) Registry Keys, that may become Corrupt after Removing the Host Program that Modified them."

Basically some viruses and ad-ware (New.net for example), modify your tcp/ip or internet connectivity settings. Removed said program can leave lingering entries and that may be causing problems. I've used this tool successfully for over a year now, just to make sure that network settings where restored.

If you're not sure that you are as clean as you need to be when it comes to network settings, etc. Just run it and make sure.

http://www.geekstogo...n=download&id=7

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Thanks Keith

I have that on my computer and ran it. Still have the same messages.

Did some research, apparently it's something to do with my Internet Protocol Security. So I'm going to check my connections, router and server to see if maybe it's something on their end.

All the other things I did, which you suggested, worked fine and my computer is running better.

Thanks again for all your help, Wannabe1 thanks for your help too.

Both of you helped me out alot. Think there are more serious problems on the board that could use your help.

Will post something if I ever get rid of these messages.

The main thing is with both of your advise, my computer is running better. And I know that whatever I got is minor.

Have a great week.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting us know

Will be interested in the cause of it