Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB flash not recognized

• Please log in to reply

nes66

nes66

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
After a Windows Repair installation I cant see the contents of my USB flash memory stick. While it is recognized by the computer as a USB storage device, I cannot see it in the win explorer. When I plug the device, a prompt window does not appear on the screen as it used to. The devise is working perfectly with other pc’s.The Disc Management function does not assign a letter to the USB flash
-Even when I assign a letter manually (for example F or Q), windows explorer does not ‘see’ the drive and as a result I cannot use the files in it.
-Every other USB device like an external HD I have, is automatically recognized as a ‘mass storage device’ and a letter is assigned to it (T:\)
-Before repairing windows the specific flash was recognized by my pc as ‘Removable F:’ (and is still working perfectly on other computers.)

I already have install/uninstall usb-ports drivers and the problem persists.

Edited by nes66, 21 February 2006 - 11:20 AM.

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01 nes66 Flash Drive not recognized
21st Feb 2006

nes66 – [Welcome to Geeks to Go] – I see that you just came from the –[Malware Forum] –

What about all your other USB Devices are they functioning Ok – and this is the only USB Device that is a problem – I am going to give you a – [Device Manager Enhancement] – Process – that will enable – [Device Manager] to view – [Non Present Devices] – that will be a great aid - Just follow these instructions –

Prep [DEVICE MANAGER] to view [Non Present Devices] –(One time process)

(1) – Right Click [MY COMPUTER] > Click [PROPERTIES] on Drop Down Menu –
(2) – Click [ADVANCED] Tab – (on System Properties)
(3) – Click [ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES] Tab -
(4) – Under [SYSTEM VARIABLES] Section – Click [NEW] Tab –
(5) – In [NAME] Section – Type – devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices
(6) – In [VALUE] Section – Type the number 1
(7) – Close out by Clicking [OK] Tabs – 3 Times – (3 levels/panels to close)
(8) – Click on [START] Button > Then click on [RUN] –
(9) – Type – devmgmt.msc – and then Click [OK] – This will open [DEVICE MANAGER]
(10)– Click [VIEW] on Menu > Click [Show Hidden Devices] on Pop Down Menu –
(11) – View [Hidden Devices] – Indicated by Faded Gray Print – (Close when completed) –
(12) – Restart Computer – (To ensure a good [Initial] beginning -

Standard Process to Open [DEVICE MANAGER] with [Show Hidden Devices] Option set -

(1) – Right Click [MY COMPUTER]
(2) – Browse down [Menu] to [Properties] > Double Click to Open Properties Page
(3) – Click on [HARDWARE] Tab
(4) – Click on [Device Manager] Tab
(5) – Click on [View} on Menu Bar
(6) – **Click on [Show Hidden Files]**
(7) – Expand Folders as required
(8) – You need to double left click or right click each line to reveal additional info
(9) – [Non Present Devices] will be denoted by –(Light/faded gray print)

** Step 6 will have to be set to [Show Hidden Files] on each opening of [Device Manager] **

Make sure you have – [Show Hidden Devices] – Option set in View Menu –

Now browse down thru USB Devices/Controllers & Expand all the Folders & Sub Folders – and Look for USB Mass Storage Devices and/or Disk Drives Folder –

You are looking for your Flash Drive Folder – Both Present & Non Present Instances – You are also looking for USB Devices that have – [Yellow Question Marks and/or Yellow Exclamation Signs] – which indicate Problem

You want to open these Problem Files by Double Clicking them & this will Open the [Properties Page] – Then you want to click on the –[Driver] Tab

Now Click [Driver Details] Tab – you should see an entry that shows – [usbstor.sys] driver file – then Close by Clicking – [OK]

Then you want to [Uninstall Problem Items] – by clicking on [Uninstall] Tab

Now you are not removing the Drivers from PC – You are only – Uninstalling them from [PnP] Let me know how many Problem Entries – You have found –

Just do the ones with – Problems for now –

Also I would like to know what entries you have listed under [Universal Serial Bus Controller] –

(1) – How many Universal Serial Bus Controllers] Entries
(2) – How many [Open Host Controllers] Entries
(3) – How many [Universal Host Controllers] Entries
(4) – How many [Enhanced Host Controllers] Entries
(5) – How many [USB Root HUB] Entries

Now close [Device Manager] – Connect your [USB Flash Drive] – Post back results –

Here is a FAQ link for USB Flash Drive – [Reference]
http://www.usbflashd...faq.html#whatis

Jack123

nes66

nes66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi Jack123,

Thank you for your assistance.

- I found no Problem Files in the device manager.
-Universal Serial Bus Controllers-1
-Open Host Controllers-0
-Universal Host Controllers-2
-Enhanced Host Controllers-1
-USB Root HUB-3

When I re-connected the USB flash drive:
-One USB Mass Storage became active in the device manager.
-Disk Management recognized it as a: Healthy Disk 1 Removable 250MB FAT but no number was assigned to it.
-Windows Explorer did not recognized it.
-I assigned a letter manually (F), but again it did not show up in the Win Explorer.
-When I use the ‘Safely Remove Hardware’ option from the windows task bar it shows up as a USB Mass Storage- Transcend Jetflash.
-I tried another USB flash (creative) but I had the same problem.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
02 – nes66 – [Flash Drive not recognized]
24th Feb 2006

Thanks for the info - Were you able to use – [Device Manager] – in – [Show Non Present Devices Mode] – [??] – Post back what you were able to view as – [Non Present Devices – Muted Grey Print Items] -

(1) –

I found no Problem Files in the device manager.
-Universal Serial Bus Controllers-1
-Open Host Controllers-0
-Universal Host Controllers-2
-Enhanced Host Controllers-1
-USB Root HUB-3

Ok – This means –
1-You have –(2) – [Software Managed – USB 1.1] – [Universal Host Controller Interface]
2-With 3 Root Hubs – [Probably have 2 USB Ports in back] + [1 USB Port in Front]
3-You have USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller
4-I do not see an – [Enhanced Root Hub] which might mean you did not – [Enable USB 2.0] in BIOS – after
[Window Repair]

(2) –

When I re-connected the USB flash drive:
-One USB Mass Storage became active in the device manager.
-Disk Management recognized it as a: Healthy Disk 1 Removable 250MB FAT but no number was assigned to it.

1-Is this the description/name of your USB Hard Drive –
2-Was it connected to a USB Port [??]
3-Was it shown as – [Present] or [Non Present]
4-What was shown in the [Disk Drives] Folder of – [Device Manager]
5-Appears that Driver may be wrong – Double Click to Open – Use Driver Tab – Show Driver Details – Post back – Name of file Highlighted – and – Version -

(3) –

When I use the ‘Safely Remove Hardware’ option from the windows task bar it shows up as a USB Mass Storage- Transcend Jetflash

1-Is this the description/name of your – USB Flash Drive]
2-Was it shown as – [Present Device] or [Non Present Device]
3-Appears that Driver may be wrong – Double Click to Open – Use Drivers Tab – Show Driver Details – Post back Name of file Highlighted – and – Version
4-Was External USB Drive Connected at this time
5-Did this – [Task Bar Icon] – appear when Flash drive was connected -

(4)

Check USB BIOS Setting – Under –[Integrated Peripherals] [??] – Should see something on – USB Controllers] – You want to Verify or Enable – [USB 2,0 Mode]

Jack123

nes66

nes66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
-Yes I can use the Show Hidden Devices function

(2)
1. Yes it is the name of my flash drive
2. Yes it was connected
3.It was shown as present
4. It was shown in the Drives folder
5.-JetFlash Transcend USB device
-Driver Files: C:\......\disk.sys -------- C:\.......\prtmgr.sys
-Provider: Microsoft Corp
- Version:5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158

(3)
1. Yes
2. Yes
3.Present
4. No only the USB flash
5. Yes

(4)
I don’t know where this ‘Integrated Peripherals’ is. The system BIOS has an entry : ‘legacy USB support (disabled)’ is this what you mean.

You should also know that my External HD (western digital) has 3 partitions.
I attach 4 png very small files so you can see what is present and not-present in the device manager BEFORE and AFTER connecting the usb flash. usb_contr_NO_flash_installed.png drivers_NO_flash_installed.png drivers_flash_installed.png usb_contr__flash_installed.png

Thanks again

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
03 – nes66 – [Flash Drive not recognized]
2nd March 2006

JetFlash Transcend USB device
-Driver Files: C:\......\disk.sys -------- C:\.......\prtmgr.sys
-Provider: Microsoft Corp
- Version:5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158

Ok – It appears that the Flash Drive has the wrong Driver Installed – It has the same Driver as the USB Hard Drive – [??] – The driver installed – is the –[Partition Manager Driver] – used for the USB Hard Drive [??}

The Driver needed for the Flash Drive should be – [usbstor.sys] – or – [disk.sys] – which should be installed in PC –

You have 3 Instances of the –[Flash Drive] – You want to remove all but (1) –

(1) – Do not insert Flash drive
(2) – Open [Device Manager] with –[Show Hidden Devices]
(3) – Double Click on the lowest Flash Drive Instance & Uninstall Driver – [Note Driver]
(4) – Double Click on next Flash Drive Instance & Uninstall Driver – [Note Driver]
(5) – Double Click on Remaining Flash Drive Instance & Update Driver – [Note new driver]
(6) – Insert Flash Drive – [Device Manager] should – Refresh itself –
(7) – Power Management Icon should appear on Task Bar Tray [??}

Open [Windows Explorer] – Hopefully your Flash Drive is now Visible –

Jack123

nes66

nes66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I did what you said but nothing changed.
I uninstalled the 2 lower instances of USB drivers. When I tried to update the third driver instance, windows could not updated it because it could not find a better match’ for the driver.

I uninstalled the third one, and then I inserted the USB flash:
-the icon on task bar appears correctly
-the popup window does not show up
-Explorer does not recognize it
-The same driver was assigned to it (device manager)

Every entry in the drivers’ folder of device manager has the same driver details (please see below the image.

driver_details.png

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
04 – nes66 – [Flash Drive not recognized]
3 rd March 2006

The devise is working perfectly with other pc’s.The Disc Management function does not assign a letter to the USB flash

Ok lets do a little – [Shop & Compare Testing] – If this is still an Option -

The Driver Details is now showing both drivers –

(1) – disk.sys – the correct driver for the Flash
(2) – partmgr.sys – the partition manager for the Hard drive

So lets see what you see in a similar PC that the Flash Drive is working – See what Device Manager shows –
in the – [Driver Details] – about these Drivers – [??] – You may have connect the Flash Drive or prepare – [Device Manager] – to view Non Present Devices – I do not think the Driver – [partmgr.sys] is correct –

Lets try this method –

(1) – Shut down PC
(2) – Start Windows in [Safe Mode]
(3) – Open [Device Manager]
(4) – Now Uninstall Drivers of Flash Drive
(5) – Shut down & Restart PC to complete the – [Uninstall Drivers]
(6) – Now connect Flash Drive & see if this works -
________________________________________________________________________________

After a Windows Repair installation I cant see the contents of my USB flash memory stick. While it is recognized by the computer as a USB storage device, I cannot see it in the win explorer. When I plug the device, a prompt window does not appear on the screen as it used to

What did the – [Prompt Window] – say [??] -

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 03 March 2006 - 12:37 PM.

nes66

nes66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I tried with a similar pc and the driver details are exaclty the same.
I uninstalled the drivers in safe mode but the problem persists
The prompt window DOES NOT appear at all. (i.e to open the folder or play the music files that exist within the flash).

I wonder if repairing windows once more is the only (if at all) solution.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
05 – nes66 – [Flash Drive not recognized]
9th MARCH 2006

I tried with a similar pc and the driver details are exaclty the same.

(1) – How large is this Flash Drive –
(2) – Do you have CD with Flash Drive Application Software
(3) – Is or was there a – Password – associated with this drive
(4) – Appears that this drive needs or is waiting for an Application Program to control the drivers
(5) – What does documentation say about the – [Recovery Function] -

JetFlash 110 can also function as a personal organizer simply by using the bundled software. The unit comes with Password, PC-lock, boot-up. Another very useful feature is the recovery function, which can auto restore the unit's default settings. Transcends USB2.0 JetFlash 110 supports Windows 98SE/2000/Me/XP, Mac OS 9.0 or later, and Linux kernel 2.4 or later. The USB2.0 JetFlash 110 is an indispensable tool for data transfer at school, work, or on home computers. In addition, Transcend's USB2.0 JetFlash 110 is built with original, highest quality NAND-type Flash chips and other selected high quality components ensuring long life and exceptional performance. Transcend's USB2.0 JetFlash 110 is the ultimate data storage device that can guarantee users a worry-free data storage and transfer experience

Try this Installation Process –

(1) – Use – [Device Manager] – to Uninstall Drivers for Flash Drive
(2) – Restart PC to – This will Enact Uninstalling of Drivers
(3) – Install Flash Drive Applications using Installation CD
(4) – Restart PC to – This will Enact the Installing of Application
(5) – Connect Flash Drive to USB Port

I wonder if repairing windows once more is the only (if at all) solution.

I have ran out of ideas to convince – [PnP] & [Device Manager] – to communicate – So if the latest process did not wake up PnP – then remove the Flash Drive drivers using Device Manager and then do a another Repair on Windows -

Jack123

Advertisements

nes66

nes66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I did another Win Repair but unfortunately nothing have changed. For some reason windows recognize the flash but canot assign a letter to it . Maybe all the available letters are not really availabe. Anyway thanks a lot for your help.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
06 – nes66 – [Flash Drive not recognized]
St Patrick’s - MARCH 2006

(1) -Does it show up in – [Device Manager] – as a – [Non Present] or [Unknown Device] – or – under Non PnP devices –
(2) -Also look under – [Mass Storage Devices] and – [Disk Drives] for – [Non Present Devices]
(3) –Another thing to try – Connect Flash Drive to PC – Then turn PC – [ON] & Boot up – with Flash Drive attached – Is there a – [LED] on the Flash Drive
(4) – If there is – Look at the Drive – during Boot up Process – When it gets to the – [Windows Loading Page] – with the Blue Status Bar – Does the LED – Flash – when the Bar – gets to the – [Ύ Mark] –
(5) – This is where the – [USB Host Controller] – Polls the – [USB Root HUBS] – and Indexes/catalogs – [Device Manager] – for all USB Devices that are attached during Boot up – All of your attached USB Devices should get – [Toggled at this time] – in sequence
(6) – They should get – [Powered] – [Defaulted] – [Addressed] – [Configured] – at this time
(7) – Then after Windows is up & running – then when the Application is installed – then the USB Device should be – Attached by PnP -

Check that PnP is running –

(1)-Save & Close all open Files – [In case Windows needs Restarted]
(2)-Click – [Start]
(3)- Click Run
(4)- Type – msconfig –
(5) – Click – [OK]
(6)- Open – [Services Tab] – at top of page
(7)- Browse down to – [Plug and Play] – Verify this Block is checked

Jack123

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
07 – nes66 – [Flash Drive not recognized]
24th MARCH 2006

aussiesteve – Welcome to – [Geeks to Go] –

Usually we prefer that you start your own Topic – but this may be somewhat borderline – The information is greatly appreciated – and I need to review/examine it closely – I will have some more questions for you – but I don’t want to add confusion to this thread –

I want/need to learn more of your problem – and I am glad/happy that you passed this info on to me – And I understand – Using this Thread as your Contact Vehicle – and passing the info on – It is very informative – [THANKS –]

There is a definite link between the two issues – but I need to have you interactive – I was getting towards the end of my – [Usefulness with the original issue] – but you have given me a – [Reset] – and a new aspect on this issue –

The key to your post – You actually told me what you did – I am not sure if that is a – [Cause or Effect] – but it is interesting -

I will ask for – [Moderator Help] – for Forum Protocol – on this matter [??] We have over 1K of other members & guests that have observed this thread – so you see that it is not just – [you] – [me] & [nes66] –

[Moderators] – Love me –[??]

Thanks again -
Jack123

nes66

nes66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I solved the problem. Please check the link link

Edited by nes66, 28 March 2006 - 10:56 AM.

aussiesteve

aussiesteve

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for that...
Just to round it out, my problem has been resolved quite simply. I just plugged in the flash drive with the PC off and let it boot. Voila! It now recognises the drive.