Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

last ditch attempt for some help

• Please log in to reply

markymarkoriginal

markymarkoriginal

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
and the problem's still there, so i'm wondering now wether this could be a hardware problem altough i've been told this is highly unlikely.
Basically my internet connection will constantly lock up so i have to reboot, when i do reboot it get's as far as the blue screen with the message 'saving settings' so i have to manually shut down.
I can't work out what's causing it, it seems to happen at random times, and also it crashes if i watch videos on media player, it tells me my virtual memory is full so i'm stuck yet again.

If anyone can help me out, thanks a lot.

Mark

Edited by markymarkoriginal, 20 February 2006 - 10:40 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Step one, download and install the following

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

reboot...save settings should go much better

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you mean just your internet connection locks up (I.E. locks up but you can still use windows?) or does the whole system lock up?

system crashes every time you open a video? specific format..or anything?

check your temps with speedfan (google it) at a time when the system crashes..if you can...alternately you can try checking them in bios right after a lockup.

how many sticks of ram are in the computer?
if more than one....take them out..and put them back in one at a time...does the system still hang/crash with each individual ram?

start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.

In safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now reboot. This should result in the BSOD error...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Step two

Uninstall (not disable) Norton Internet Security...does the problem improve?

Reinstall Norton Security. Does the problem recreate

It may not, sometimes Norton IS installs improperly

markymarkoriginal

markymarkoriginal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
dsenette

My internet connection is the main thnig that locks up, the whole system does crash if i try to actually disconnect from the net, but otherwise yeah i can still use windows.
the system locks up on windows media player and in media centre....this has only just started happening in the last couple of weeks.
I don't know what ya mean by 'sticks' of RAM, i've got 1Gb of RAM if that's what ya mean?,

What is it that you want me to list (for the items with red x's) the source?
If so i've got quite a few under
SYSTEM -
cdrom
CnxEtP
Service Control Manager
and 'DCOM' (tho these were more at the beggining of febuary)

APPLICATION -
Windows Media Centre
Application Error
Media Center.Video.DvdSession
Windows Media Center Download
MsiInstaller
PerfDisk
Application Hang
VSS
EventSystem

gerryf

Done your first step, uninstalling Norton and using the internet is a bit risky right? shall i just re install it?

Need any more info guys?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.

markymarkoriginal

markymarkoriginal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
This is an ongoing problem from over 5 or 6 months so all the things i listed there shud be correct, is that all the info you needed?