Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removing unwanted internet filter-- [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Rivercityrebel

Rivercityrebel

• Pip
  • 5 posts
OK, I'm not sure if this is even the right forum to post this request. I recently purchased a used dell for use at home. I bought it at a garage sale and found that the hard drive had not been wiped prior to sale. I was going to wipe it myself, but decided not to because there is a fair amount of non-standard software on the machine that I would like to keep using. Unfortunately, the machine also has a password protected internet filter program. Without the password, I can't remove it. I don't mind it blocking [bleep], but it's a tad to active for my tastes and blocks a fair amount of sites that I'd like to access. I've tried contacting the people who sold it to no avail and I've tried emailing the company to no avail. The program is called Naomi. Any hints or advice on how to remove it or direction to another forum? Any help would be appreciated. If there are no answers, I'll just wipe the hard drive, but I'd really rather not. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Rivercityrebel, 20 February 2006 - 02:24 PM.

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
You can probably remove it...but not in the normal matter (nor would it be a "clean" way to get rid of it). Boot into Safe Mode and see if that program is still running now. If not, try uninstalling it. If it asks for password again, just close out.

Open up the program and try to get as much information from it as possible (company name, etc.). Also right click on the exe (main program's executable file) and go to Properties to get more information there (name, etc). Now, delete the whole folder for that program. Next, go into the registry and do searches for the naomi program and any keywords like the company name. Delete all traces of it. Make sure you backed up the registry before editing it.

That should, theoretically, get rid of the program. Otherwise, you might be better off doing a clean format and reinstall.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.