Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Word not working

• Please log in to reply

KyloRilee

KyloRilee

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hi, so about a week ago, my MS Word started acting really funny. Any existing document I would try to open would say "The file filename.doc is unavailable"

So I can open a new blank sheet, save it and everything, but if I close it, I can't reopen it... HOWEVER, I CAN reopen it if I email it and open it on a different computer, so I know it's just Word on this computer.

Also, everytime I try to close Word, it says "The file normal.dot already exists. Do you want to replace the existing file?" No matter what I choose the first time (no or yes) both act like "yes" and want me to save the template.

So I either save over, or when I cancel, and attempt to close the program a second time, it says "Changes have been made that affect the global template, normal.dot. Do you want to save those changes?" and when I hit No then, it will close fine.

But I CANNOT open any exisitng files! Please help!

Edited by KyloRilee, 20 February 2006 - 05:42 PM.

Advertisements

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
the normal.dot file is corrupted. go to C:\Documents and Settings\*your username*\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates and delete the normal.dot file. when you open word again it will make new normal.dot file

replace *your username* with your username

KyloRilee

KyloRilee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

the normal.dot file is corrupted. go to C:\Documents and Settings\*your username*\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates and delete the normal.dot file. when you open word again it will make new normal.dot file

replace *your username* with your username

Hmmm, that worked for closing the application, but I still can't open exisitng files. Still says "The file filename.doc is unavailable"

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Here is a solution to your problem
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;835404

KyloRilee

KyloRilee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Here is a solution to your problem
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;835404

According to that, it's a problem with my antivirus. But my antivirus software (AVG Free) is up to date.

Does that mean that Word has a virus? And if AVG can't fix it, what should I do?

BTW, I just checked Excel, it's messing up too. So it's all MS Office documents, not just word.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

This happens with Norton too. I believe during install, AVG gives you the option to choose to enable the Office plugin... doing so may be the cause of your problems.

Do this...
Uninstall AVG, Completely
Reinstall AVG, but do not enable the Office plugin

See if that helps

KyloRilee

KyloRilee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Hello,

This happens with Norton too. I believe during install, AVG gives you the option to choose to enable the Office plugin... doing so may be the cause of your problems.

Do this...
Uninstall AVG, Completely
Reinstall AVG, but do not enable the Office plugin

See if that helps

Do NOT enable the plugin?

Okay, I'll try that tonight... thanks!

KyloRilee

KyloRilee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Okay, so I tried to do Detect & Repair with MS Word, and that didn't work.

So I went ahead and totally uninstalled and then reinstalled MS Office.

Then I went ahead and reinstalled my Antivirus (AVG Free) too, and did NOT enable the Office plugin.

Now Word seems to be working fine. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks for all of your help!

Edited by KyloRilee, 07 March 2006 - 09:45 AM.

rpsibew110

rpsibew110

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had the same thing normal.dot wanted saving every time and some of my doc, xls and pps files were not available. So I started looking after a couple of hours of going through the internet and some forums I found a file called officeav.dll (btw I found the file name on Tech Trax site) I use NAV corporate Edition and office 2003. I found that I can disable it inside some of the NAV programs but not in Corporate edition so I went to Symantec and searched for officeav.dll and found the link below I also included some of the page that I used to unregister the officeav.dll file both the problem of the normal.dot file and the files not being available were cured using the unregister command. Deleting normal.dot file will not work and will cause huge problems if you or a client has done changes to the file, as they all will be lost when you delete the file. Also obviously uninstalling and reinstalling Office will not fix the problem. As the officeav.dll file will still registered.

this link will show you were to turn off the Norton protect for office Tech Trax

To unregister the Norton AntiVirus 2002 plug-in Microsoft Office 2000 or XP:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type--or copy and paste--one of the following, depending on how NAV is installed:

If NAV is installed a stand-alone product:

regsvr32 -u "c:\program files\norton antivirus\officeav.dll"

If NAV is installed as part of SystemWorks:

regsvr32 -u "c:\program files\norton systemworks\norton antivirus\officeav.dll"
3. Click OK at any prompts or messages.

A link to the full text in Symantec's KB

Edited by rpsibew110, 30 May 2006 - 05:14 AM.