Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP restarts as soon as logged in

• Please log in to reply

timberwolf90

timberwolf90

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My WinXP SP2 computer restarts its self just as it logs in to any account.

I woke up to find my computer had an error on it. It had been on all night and connected to the internet (if that helps you understand the situation). The error was something like this:

Explorer.exe - Application Error
The instruction at "0x0105b1fe" referenced memory at "0x000000000". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program.

and 'Explorer.exe' was something else a couple times (if I saw it I would remember)

I kept clicking 'OK' and It would keep appearing, then the start menu and taskbar would disappear and appear. The warning kept appearing. I restarted properly and then the computer would keep restarting after "Windows is starting up...".

I tried going into Safe Mode and Safe Mode in Command Prompt and still restarts when I get to logging in.

I thought if I got to MS-DOS, I could launch System Restore and go back to a previous state, but it's easier said then done.

I have tried to boot from a Win98 CD, but I couldn't locate the C:\WINDOWS directory.

I've tried to boot from a Office 2000 Pro CD that had Word, Excel, and Outlook. I could brouse around the CD in Command Prompt, but that didn't help much.

Now, I'm onto booting from an WinXP upgrade CD. I've tried reinstall Windows, and when Windows Installation is just about done, the computer restarts and I had to restart all again. When I start up now, it is WinXP without Service Pack 2.
In Microsoft Windows XP Recovery Console, I have tried to open System Restore ("C:\WINDOWS\System32\Restore\rstrui.exe"), but I just get 'The command is not recognized. Type HELP for a list of supported commands.'
Does anyone know how to open System Restore in Microsoft Windows XP Recovery Console? Or even if is possible. Am I even on the right path?

Can anyone give me any hints as to WHY this error happened and what to do now to get my pc started properly?

I also have my all my files on a partitioncalled D:\ and I am willing to try to reinstall Win2K again and upgrade to XP. One more question is if I format or reinstall on the C: drive, will it effect the D:\ partition?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi timberwolf90...

Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.

When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press "Enter". At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following line and press "Enter":

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

The System Restore program should start.

wannabe1

timberwolf90

timberwolf90

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm in recovery counsole and this is what it looks like
F:\WINDOWS>
F:\WINDOWS>F:\WINDOWS\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
The command is not recognized  Type HELP for a list of supported commands.

First of all, My main hard drive is at C: and I've never had a F: drive (think its a USB drive)
Second, I'm guessing that (in this case), %systemroot%\ is F:\WINDOWS. Is that right?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Type exit and press "Enter". Does it give you an option to boot into
  • C:Windows
Enter the number for the installation you want to boot to and press "Enter".

Does it boot to windows?

timberwolf90

timberwolf90

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No, I type in 'exit' and press 'enter' and it quits and restarts.

So you know, I can't even get into the Windows startup logo.
It says 'Invalid system disk' and 'Replace the disk, and then press any key'.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If all your files are already on the D partition, and you don't mind a fresh intall, use the XP cd to format C: and do a clean install of XP. You don't need to install Win2000 first, even with an upgrade cd, you will be asked for a "Qualifying Produsct" at which point you put the 2000 cd in the drive for verification. Installation will then continue.

wannabe1

timberwolf90

timberwolf90

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks, I'll try to install XP. A partition with 7 MB of free space (out of 8 MB) with a FAT format was somehow created. I deleted it and now that is the only unpartitioned space. I'm currently installing XP on C:

I'll reply when it's done or if an error occurs.