Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer crashes and games crash to desktop

• Please log in to reply

jasonhnf

jasonhnf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
oh and also i did all the test in DirectX Diagnostic Tool and everything passed and i had no errors when i did every test on it

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
could try the via 4in1, 5.04

Via renamed the 4in1s to Hyperion about 2 years ago

http://www.viaarena....ID=1&CatID=1070

You have two 256mb sticks of ram, or one now?

jasonhnf

jasonhnf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
i have just the one

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
did you return the other? Somewhere I had it in my head that you had a second stick and they both failed

What Ramtest did you run?

jasonhnf

jasonhnf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
oh no they both passed... they didn't fail... since they were both two different kinds (company wise) i just threw out the old one and installed and kept the new one i have now... i called the company first to see if it will work with my motherboard and they looked it up and said yes... and i ran memtest86 or something like that... and overnight... for over 8 hours... and i didn't get any errors at all... i also just now installed that new VIA 4in1 through that link that you sent me and after it installed and restarted... i played one of my games... and it crashed to the desktop like every game i have... and then i plugged in my usb storage and that crashed the computer with the blue screen of.. i wrote it down...

STOP: 0x0000008E (0xc0000005, 0x00000045, 0xB867A8F4, 0x00000000)
Beginning dump of physcial memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator... *blah blah blah*

and i have tried switching my ram to each different DDR slots on my motherboard and i still have the same problems... everything i do doesn't seem to work! :tazz: and i just want to say thank you guys for your replys and your help! i really don't know what else it could be!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
why did you throw out a perfectly good stick of RAM? You could have put them both in and had more because you do not have enough--it's a different issue, but I hope you threw it in a drawer, not out.

This thing just screams memory problem, and I am beginning to think it's ram that is integrated ont eh cpu, or a faulty motherboard.

That said, let's back up

There are two memtest programs: memtest86 abnd memtest86+

The first has been in development limbo for two years and is therefore not likely to give you positive results.

Is it possible you used that one?

That 7e error way up top in the thread has me most concerned--typically related to bad hardware and not easy to replace hardware since you already changed the RAM out.

I'd like to see an everest report

download Everest Home

http://www.geekstogo...tion=show&id=13

unzip it, install it, and then press the report button and save a report and ATTACH it to your next post

jasonhnf

jasonhnf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
okay... here it is

Attached Files

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
OK, I need to look at this more closely, but I have a few questions.

First, do you have an answer on the RAMtest you used memtest or memtest+

Second, who told you this ram was OK for this system? The motherboard is suitable for up to pc2100 ram, and you have pc2700 ram in there....now, it SHOULD be OK, as the faster ram should clock down, but it's an interesting thing to note

You said you updated your BIOS, but it is dated 10-8-2001--the current BIOS is dated 6-5-2003

Who set your fsb bus and multiplier? I think you may be running a little fast--which could cause this issue. You have it set at 133.33 by 10.5...it should be 133 x 10.5 It's just a little, but...

Did you remove the realtek audio drivers before installing the soundblaster? Did you disable it in bios?

jasonhnf

jasonhnf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

OK, I need to look at this more closely, but I have a few questions.

First, do you have an answer on the RAMtest you used memtest or memtest+

Second, who told you this ram was OK for this system? The motherboard is suitable for up to pc2100 ram, and you have pc2700 ram in there....now, it SHOULD be OK, as the faster ram should clock down, but it's an interesting thing to note

You said you updated your BIOS, but it is dated 10-8-2001--the current BIOS is dated 6-5-2003

Who set your fsb bus and multiplier? I think you may be running a little fast--which could cause this issue. You have it set at 133.33 by 10.5...it should be 133 x 10.5 It's just a little, but...
Did you remove the realtek audio drivers before installing the soundblaster? Did you disable it in bios?

the ramtest i don't remember... if i had to guess... it might have been the non plus one... i can download and run the plus version for a few hours and see what i get... i could of sworn i updated the bios... but i must of not have and thought i did... i have reinstalled this system so many times i sometimes forget... and no i didn't disable the realtek audio drivers... i'll go into the bios after i update it and restart and then disable it... and i'm pretty sure it was my dad who set my fsb bus and mutiplier... he was the one who built it... how would i go about changeing that?

jasonhnf

jasonhnf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
okay i guess i never have updated my bios... i went through it... and then i was like wait... this is new... so i downloaded @bios and updated my bios... and then i went into my bios and disabled the onboard soundcard... again i just want to say thanks so much for your help and your time in helping me out! and yeah the guy on the phone said it would work with my motherboard... i wanted to make sure before i opened it up and then couldn't return it you know... so he pretty much lied or didn't know what he was talking about then huh? grrrr oh well... so i'm going to run memtest+ overnight and see what i get

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no, he didn't lie--like I said, the memory should underclock to pc2100 from its faster speed. Most of the time this is NEVER an issue, but I have run into 1 system in my life where a faster ram just was not stable (an old motherboard designed for pc100 that just wouldn't work with pc133 ram).

I'm just searching for possibilities.

After flashing your BIOS, could you repost another everest?

Back around the time this motherboard was made, motherboard makers were "cheating" a lot to boost performance, setting BIOS a little faster to make it appear the system was running faster.. 2/3 of a clock cycle is pretty lame/tame when it comes to a OEM overclock,,,it's just an anomoly--bios update may clear it up

jasonhnf

jasonhnf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Okay i was not able to run memtest+ overnight... but i will run it shortly and let you guys know how it did... i already download it from http://www.memtest.org/ ... also i'm going to attach the new report now that i updated my bios... after i updated my bios and after my computer restarted i entered my bios and disabled the onboard soundcard... then when windows booted up... and i clicked on my name to log into windows xp... the computer crashed and i got that blue screen of STOP: 0x0000008e again :tazz:

Attached Files

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
After the memtest, drop into bios and hit f7 to load the failsafe values, then f10 to save

does thgat make a difference?

Disable NIC, does that make a difference?

Remove the soundblaster card, restart onboard sound...does that make a differnce

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
chekc the hardware monitor in bios---what numbers do you see?

jasonhnf

jasonhnf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
okay so i did the memtest+ latest version i think it was 1.65... and it passed 4 times with no error for over an hour... and then i went into my bios and loaded fail safe version... so now i have a USB 256MB memory stick in my usb slot and it has not crashed! so thats a very good sign! i'm going to try one of my games... i have uninstalled it and i'm going to reinstall it now and see if that causes it to crash to the desktop or to crash the computer... i'm still going to show you my hardware monitor from bios

Vcore: Normal
CPU Host Clock: 133
CPU Temp: 47c/116f
System Temp: 37c/98f
CPU Fan: 7031 RPM
System Fan: 3013 RPM
Vcore: +1.776v
Vtt: +1.232v
+ 3.300v: +3.312v
+5.000v: +4.865v
+12.000v: +12.160v
5VSB: +4.999v

now i'm going to leave the usb memory stick plugged in and restart my computer... normally my computer would crash and crash and crash and crash before the welcome screen with that 0x0000008e screen if i left something in the usb... and if it doesn't crash i'll let you know... and if it does crash i'll let you know as well... here goes nothing!