Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer crashes and games crash to desktop

• Please log in to reply

jasonhnf

jasonhnf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Okay :tazz:

Top Performance: Disabled
Configure SDRAM by SPD: Disabled
SDRAM FREQUENCY: 266MHz
SDRAM CAS# Latency: 2.5
SDRAM Command Rate: 2T Command
AGP Mode: 4x
AGP Comp. Driving: Auto
Manual AGP Comp. Driving: DA
AGP Fast Write: Disabled
AGP Aperture Size: 128MB
AGP Read Synchronization: Disabled
PCI Delay Transaction: Enabled
USB Controller: All USB Port
USB Legacy Support: Disabled
USB Port 64/60 Emulation: Disabled

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

Okay :tazz:

Top Performance: Disabled
Configure SDRAM by SPD: Disabled <== Did you do this that is not the default
SDRAM CAS# Latency: 2.5
SDRAM Command Rate: 2T Command
AGP Mode: 4x
AGP Comp. Driving: Auto
Manual AGP Comp. Driving: DA
AGP Fast Write: Disabled
AGP Aperture Size: 128MB
AGP Read Synchronization: Disabled
PCI Delay Transaction: Enabled
USB Controller: All USB Port
USB Legacy Support: Disabled <== CHANGE TO ENABLED
USB Port 64/60 Emulation: Disabled

What happens

Also, try turning down your sound acceleration
start > run
dxdiag
<enter>

Go to SOUND 1 tab, move sound acceleration one notch to left

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
btw--how come you do not have the vcore setting on that page of info you gave me?

jasonhnf

jasonhnf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
that was all that was listed on there.. there wasn't a vcore

i'll also change what you told me to change and see what happens... and see if i can find the vcore settings... maybe i missed it when i was writing all of this down

EDIT: also i didn't change the second one

Edited by jasonhnf, 24 February 2006 - 11:21 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If I understand correctly there are 2 items which were not checked yet. first and most important, the power supply unit. The fact that voltages are OK does not mean that the psu will work well under heavy load. When you run games you draw a lot of current (fans, HD, video card, cpu, memory etc.). Try to replace it temporarily with another unit and check.

The second item is the hard disk. I noticed that you have to disks. Go to the site of the manufacturer of the disk on which the operating system is installed, download a diagnostic program and check the disk.

If after checking and rectifying these two items the computer still fails, then I would suspect either the motherboard or the cpu. Whatever the case the problems looks like a hardware one.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Skeptic,

You are correct...nothing on the power supply has been tested, and that is a solid option even when all else points to memory. There are times when nothing else makes sense, check the power supply.

The manual I have for this motherboard puts the vcore setting on the same page as Chipset. I was going to suggest bumping the vcore up, but since our manuals do not match, I am not certain what our options are

jasonhnf

jasonhnf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
okay sorry the Configure SDRAM by SPD was set to Enable.. i wrote down Disabled for some reason... i doubled check to see if everything else was correct that i wrote down... and it is... i enabled the usb legacy support and the vcore is not listed on there...

jasonhnf

jasonhnf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

If I understand correctly there are 2 items which were not checked yet. first and most important, the power supply unit. The fact that voltages are OK does not mean that the psu will work well under heavy load. When you run games you draw a lot of current (fans, HD, video card, cpu, memory etc.). Try to replace it temporarily with another unit and check.

how would i replace it? i'm good with computers and how they work and how to install drives and pci cards and memory and all that... but i have never dealt with power before... is there a site that shows step by step how to do that... cause i'm confussed by what i quoted :tazz:

and i'll go and download the diagnostic program for my hard disks

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
a power drive is held in the case with 4 screws. It is connected to the motherboard by a group of wires in a plastic plug-in that is latched. Depress the latch, remove the power supply, insert a new power supply.

It is also connected to the machines drives by 4-wires that run into a plastic plug--these simply pull out. The floppy drive connection needs to be lifted ever sol slightly, since it has a notch on the bottom

jasonhnf

jasonhnf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
oh okay! i know what you are talkinga bout now... okay i have a spare one actually! so i'll try that now

Advertisements

jasonhnf

jasonhnf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

i'm still going to show you my hardware monitor from bios

Vcore: Normal
CPU Host Clock: 133
CPU Temp: 47c/116f
System Temp: 37c/98f
CPU Fan: 7031 RPM
System Fan: 3013 RPM
Vcore: +1.776v
Vtt: +1.232v
+ 3.300v: +3.312v
+5.000v: +4.865v
+12.000v: +12.160v
5VSB: +4.999v

is where my vcore is at... and i can change the normal to like a certain percentage... 10 percent being the highest

well i tried changeing out the PSU but the other one i had didn't match the one i took out... i took pictures with my picture phone.

http://img132.images...2/5919/30rt.jpg
is the one i have in my computer that connected to the motherboard

http://img523.images...3/8237/23my.jpg
the spare one that i had... and it was connected to the motherboard with these cables... of course i didn't check it till AFTER i installed it into the computer i have now :tazz:

and also the PSU that was in the original was REALLY dusty... so i took it apart and cleaned it out a bit... well the only way i could really by blowing on it hard to get rid of all the dust lol and i cleaned out the fan part too real well... i don't knwo if that will make a difference or not.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
it probably lacked sufficient wattage given teh looks of it--looks like an old baby-at, rahter than atx...course, those pictures are postage stamp size

Someone else I was reading suggested bumping the power wattage up to 10%

Note, that is 10 %, if your choices are not percentages, don't do anything

jasonhnf

jasonhnf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
they are and yeah sorry about the picture size! i have not figured out how to make the res. on my camera phone pictures any bigger >_< i'm sure there is a way... i just dont know it yet lol and yeah it does go by %... i'll bump it up to 10percent and see what that does.

jasonhnf

jasonhnf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
okay figured out how to make em bigger

http://img68.imagesh...431732905go.jpg

the spare one's connection to the mother board

and the original one that is hooked up now

http://img68.imagesh...161652903fk.jpg

jasonhnf

jasonhnf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
okay so changed it to 10percent on the Vcore... and i tried that controller config thing again *don't get mad i had to take it from the corner! lol* and i tested each button and everything and didn't crash once :tazz: which is a very good sign... i even started pressing like all the buttons at the same time and a bunch a time to put it over the edge to see if it would crash... and it didn't... so far so good... but i'll report back if my computer crashes on me again... i'm ganna try and install the sims now and play it for a bit and see if it runs smoothly or not