Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What's AGP Express?

• Please log in to reply

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Anyone wanna fill me in on what AGP Express is? Am I to assume that PCI is to AGP as PCI-Express is to AGP-Exress? So after a while people will be running two AGP cards in their systems? Anyone know of any articles about it?

I will keep searching for it....

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
http://www.tomshardw.../27/elitegroup/

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The only thing i've heard of is the tom's hardware review on the ECS motherboard. I do wonder the reasoning behind it as PCI-E is already 16X. I don't think 2 8X agp cards would even be considered by anyone.

http://www.tomshardw.../27/elitegroup/

SRX660

UV_Power

UV_Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Thanks for the reply. I read the article. Seems like a whole lotta effort for little outcome. I am gonna wait till this technology gets more popular before I invest in it. :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you mean PCI-Express its very popular now and in full swing, that article is from two years ago. Its the real standard now AGP is pretty much completely dead none of the high performing cards are made in it, and Nvidia have made there GS range in AGP to try and plug the gap for some left behind but they arent going to continue doing that.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

If you mean PCI-Express its very popular now and in full swing

I'm well aware. PCI-Express is sweet. I saw a computer at Fry's playing COD2 with 2x 7800GTX SLi. Unbelieveable smoothness. No choppiness at all. :)

No, what I was talking about is AGP-Express is not popular, and from the sound of things probably isn't going to be either. :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It never got off the ground it never will, like i said thats an old article(2004 its now two years later and that wasnt a reviews on future tech it was a yeah you can buy these review) and ive never seen one of those motherboards either in real life or even in a shop, and those performance specs were pretty poor.

Kind of a bit pointless, all the AGP/PCI-E hybrid boards were kinda pointless, at the time it kinda made a little sense but not really anymore especially with the relativley low price of better PCI-E mobos and the fact the a pci-e cards are cheaper than there APG versions if they even have AGP versions which out of the new cards only the slower GS models do. AGP is only surviving on older systems now, no new systems are made with it and its been around long enough now for it to be incorporated into alot of pcs and coming round to the upgrade time for those that demand performance.

AGP express was just PCI in disguise that could use normal AGP cards but considering that even the cards that are made PCI get some bottlenecking from the slot imagine what a proper full speed card would be like.