Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Safe to delete these files?

• Please log in to reply

SweetNutting

SweetNutting

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Guys & Dolls,

I just installed XP Pro w/sp2 on my P4 PC. Did a "Clean" install (not an upgrade from another OS). Nothing else on the PC except the OS!

Did a Windows Update and it installed a LOAD of patches, security updates, other stuff, etc.

Quick question(s):

I looked in C:\Windows (with ALL files being shown (ie: hidden, system, compressed, etc.) and found the following and want to know if I can delete any or all of them??

1). In C:\Windows - there are 72 files with miscellaneous file names but all of them ending with ext = ".log", 39 of them have KBnnnnnn.log as file name.

2). In C:\Windows - there is 1 "Hidden" folder $hf_mig$ (492 files, 107 folders, 99.5MB) that contains 36 'sub' folders (names=KBnnnnnn) that are also hidden.

3). In C:\Windows - there is 1 Hidden compressed folder $MSI31Uninstall_KB893803v2$ (111 files, 1 folder, 5.30MB) that contains 102 files with names of regnnnnn. Plus some other 'dll' files.

4). In C:\Windows - there 38 (hidden, compressed) folders with names of $NtUninstallKBnnnnnn$.

5). Also in C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\ there are 2,507 files that take up 461MB, most of them are .dll files.

What can I delete and what shud be left??

Thank you very much!

SN :tazz:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi SweetNutting...

These are system files, backup system files, uninstaller packages, updates, and hotfixes. You'll want to keep them. The driver cache dll files are particularly important...your machine will not function without them. I'd leave them all alone.

wannabe1

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
good rule of thumb...if it's in this folder C:\Windows ......leave it alone unless you know what you're doing...