Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

audio crash using messanger (Yahoo and Skype)

• Please log in to reply

jabya

jabya

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have been trying to chat (with audio) using yahoo messanger and Skype, on my Sony Vaio Laptop (P-IV, 2.66 Ghz, 448 MB ram; Windows XP - SP2). With Yahoo messenger the sound quality is very choppy and degrades with time. Using Skype, sound quality is very good (send and recieve), but the program eventually causes a hard crash (requires a hard reboot - ctrl-alt-del is ineffective). Chatting by typing and video works fine with both programs - indefinately, so it is definately an audio issue.

I have used task manager to observe the CPU usage while the audio was on, and noted that memory usage escalates gradually over about 5 minutes to 100%, at which point the system crash occurs. If I turn off the messanger programs before the crash - then CPU usage goes back down to ambient levels.

I have tried a number of things: disabled firewall and virus protection, adjust audio acceleration setting, upgrade audio driver (SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio), and Direct X to most recent version (9c), checked for hardware conflicts... etc.

Nothing has solved the problem. If anyone has any other suggestions, I would be most greatful.
-JB

Advertisements