Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New licence key

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is repair being overlooked or is there only one copy of XP and two computers

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
there should be a sticker somewhere on your mom's computer with her original license key...can you find that? what version of windows does it say on there? for that matter...what version of windows was she using before you used your cd

gerry....Right mare = pain in the [bleep]

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ahhh,

right mare sounds good to me :tazz:

wrong mare would be bad....

michicca

michicca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
LOL sorry, wasn't functioning to its full capacity was what i meant to say :tazz: She had a windows 2000 or something and yes was being slightly naughty by thinking she could just get a sneaky upgrade. Yes she just reinstalled windows and it is working but warning her it has 16 days left to activate windows before it shuts down. She's really worried she's going to lose everything and although happy to ust buy a legitimate copy for the licence she doesn't want to wipe everything by putting the wrong information in or a new disc etc. Making more sense?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Ask them at Microsoft for the options, as before, check the price between a license and certificate, against a license, certificate and disc

http://www.microsoft...es/default.mspx

When you have the options you can either buy direct from Microsoft or look for online deals

If they ask, just say the PC crashed in the middle of important work and so XP was loaded to give a working PC to finish the work, or something similar

michicca

michicca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I can see keith is in this topic somewhere, Gerry has been very helpful but he's off being someone elses hero so can you be superman? What i really need is one of you super"geeks" to walk me step by step through this :s

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi michicca...

Open My Computer and double-click on the C: drive. How many Windows folders are in there?

wannabe1

michicca

michicca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
thanku that will be my next mission

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What should happen once you get the disc or license, you will go to activate, it will show a screen saying it was unable to, call us, you call them and give them the product key, they give you a number to type in, you then press OK and it will say activated

michicca

michicca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
hi wanabee, its my mums comp so i don't know at the mo but could that help in the meantime? how many should there be?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
michicca...

Under the circumstances, I'm hoping there's 2. Ideally, there should be one. I'm simply looking into an alternative should the activation issue not be resolved. Follow Keith's instruction to try and get the current installation activated and don't mind me poking my nose in every once in a while... :tazz:

Worst case scenario would be to manually remove the XP and revert to the provious operating system...

wannabe1

michicca

michicca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I've checked and theres just 1, if we buy a copy of xp will the licence be valid for 1 computer only or can mum use it on her pc and laptop?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Microsoft's EULA (End User License Agreement) basically states one installation per copy purchased. So, no...she would only be able to use it on one machine.

Open Control Panel and double-click "Add or Remove Programs". Is Windows XP listed?

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 21 February 2006 - 01:45 PM.

michicca

michicca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
windows installer but not windows xp

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try really, really hard to get the current XP installation activated. Removing the XP while leaving the data intact on this machine will be difficult at best and may prove to be impossible.

wannabe1