Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New licence key

• Please log in to reply

michicca

michicca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
You're cheerful! :tazz: oh well i'm off shopping then i guess. Can you tell me though anyone how people i know have managed to use a copy of windows xp time and time again on different computers?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Microsoft's EULA (End User License Agreement) basically states one installation per copy purchased. So, no...she would only be able to use it on one machine.

i could be wrong...but a full copy of xp licenses you to install on one desktop and one mobile pc...so she would be able to install on her laptop...

Can you tell me though anyone how people i know have managed to use a copy of windows xp time and time again on different computers?

when you buy a full license of xp (not an OEM cd that comes with a computer) the license follows the owner...so as long as you remove the O/S from one computer...you can install it on another (like if you format your hd...you can reinstall it. or technically if you buy a new computer...as long as you remove the old install before getting rid of the old computer....you can use the cd to install again)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

1. GRANT OF LICENSE. Microsoft grants you the following rights provided that you comply with all terms and conditions of this EULA:

1.1 Installation and use. You may install, use, access, display and run one copy of the Software on a single computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device ("Workstation Computer"). The Software may not be used by more than one processor at any one time on any single Workstation Computer.

From Microsoft's EULA for XP Home Edition... :tazz:

michicca

michicca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Making sense but the people i know have used it repeatedly, and concurrently on several computers (inc the guy who wiped and reinstalled mine) How did they do it? And how sure are we about the pc/laptop thing. And i may be thick but how do "they" know you've uninstalled it?

michicca

michicca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
LOL at wanabe!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

XP Home Edition

ah....thought we were talking pro here...

michicca

michicca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
If i bought pro and replaced the pirate copy that my mum has installed can she then use it on pc and laptop? And how could we save her stuff?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
either they changed the xp pro eula...or i'm stupid (going for the second one there)....i SWEAR the xp pro EULA at one time said "one desktop and one mobile computer"......but i just read it and it didnt..

/me backs out of this thread with his tail between his legs

michicca

michicca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
blooming experts! :s

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
<-------blooming idiot today

Advertisements

michicca

michicca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
funny people, I'm still sodding confused though! So if I go buy an unused copy of xp home edition i can use the license key in the ativation space for my mum and the computer will continue running as it is? And is there anyway on this planet for mum to NOT have to buy 2 bloody expensive copies of xp inorder to load it on to her pc and laptop?

michicca

michicca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I'm searching for a good deal on a copy of xp home, if i'm to understand either oem or full retail version you can only load on to one computer anyway does it matter which i buy as the oem's are MUCH cheaper?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Just bouncing in for a second here, but the OEM will work but there is no support for it from Microsoft.. You can get all the necessary updates, etc.. but, if you have any problems with it Microsoft won't help you at all !!

dsenette: You are getting the XP operating system and the Microsoft Office programs confused.. You can install office on both your desktop system and YOUR laptop but both have to be for your exclusive use !!

Murray