Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't load XP Pro

• Please log in to reply

trapper

trapper

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I've reformted the hard drive, ran fdisk, reloaded Windows98 SE and that all worked fine. But when I redid it all again and tried to install XP pro everthing works fine (1 and half hours later) until it tries to save it to disk. It justs hangs ther with no action and the only way that I can get out of it is to power the computer off and then on again. It then says that my installation was unsuccessful and if I want to re install. I say yes and it happens again time after time....

Anythoughts or solutions would be much appreciated....

Thanks

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Why did you install 98 first? If it is a XP upgrade version you don't need to, just put the XP cd in and format to ntsf, at some point it will ask you to verify that you have a previous copy of windows and at this time you put your 98 cd in.

Try this first but most of the time when a os won't load it is hardware related.
Post back with your results and we can go from there.

Rick

trapper

trapper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi,

Why did you install 98 first? If it is a XP upgrade version you don't need to, just put the XP cd in and format to ntsf, at some point it will ask you to verify that you have a previous copy of windows and at this time you put your 98 cd in.

Try this first but most of the time when a os won't load it is hardware related.

Rick

View Post

trapper

trapper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi,

Rick

View Post

trapper

trapper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I've reformted the hard drive, ran fdisk, reloaded Windows98 SE and that all worked fine. But when I redid it all again and tried to install XP pro everthing works fine (1 and half hours later) until it tries to save it to disk. It justs hangs ther with no action and the only way that I can get out of it is to power the computer off and then on again. It then says that my installation was unsuccessful and if I want to re install. I say yes and it happens again time after time....
Anythoughts or solutions would be much appreciated....

Thanks

View Post