Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transfering file and applications to new laptop

• Please log in to reply

tgray98

tgray98

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I am buying a new laptop and would like to transfer specific applications and files from my current laptop. I have a 60 GB external USB drive and have backed up my current laptop. I do not have problems with data files. I would like to know a procedure or good software package to move applications to the new laptop.
Thanks,
Tom

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
moving this as it is not a comment nor suggestion about the site

tgray98

tgray98

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I do not understand your reply. Did I post in the wrong area? I am looking for help with new PC setup using a lot of data from current PC.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
he meant that was the wrong forum....

what you propose is in many cases difficult to impossible because Windows does nto install programs in a directory with its corresponding settings and application support files. Instead, these are sprinkled in several areas of the drive and the registry

There are no programs that can do this reliably

A few programs can be moved, but not many...did you have specific programs in mind?

It is best to move the data and reinstall the programs on the new machine

tgray98

tgray98

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I was mainly concerned about applications for which I no longer have the CDs to reinstall......such as MS OFfice Pro. I have all the files on my external USB hard drive. Can I copy the current directories and point to the USB drive when asked for missing files.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no because the bigger issue will be the 15,000 registry settings office installs

What you could do is download openoffice, which is free, and reads MS office files

It is a very good office suite

99 percent of people who use office don't use 99 percent of office and are equally well served by something like openoffice if they do not need to share files constantly or use more advanced features of Office

tgray98

tgray98

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks. I am one of those users. I use Word, Excel, and Power Point for business but nothing fancy. I'll find openoffice and try it.
Thanks,
Tom

tgray98

tgray98

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks. I am one of those users. I use Word, Excel, and Power Point for business but nothing fancy. I'll find openoffice and try it.
Thanks,
Tom

tgray98

tgray98

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks,
Tom

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://www.openoffice.org/

tgray98

tgray98

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip