got one racking my brains here, i purchased a new maxtor 200GB drive and a new enclosure, read all the details for it, this was
1. ensure new drive is fdisked first (this was done and also reformatted to NTFS and is recognised by my PC after it was done)
2. Set new drives to master (after formatting i set the jumper to master according to maxtor's site)
The details say you just plug it in and go to "my computer" and it will be there, but for the life of me i cannot get it to show. when i turn it on (external power) it is working but nothing will show up, i have looked in device manager and use everest free to look, nothing, it claims only 98 needs drivers but i am on XP , but even so i have put a driver disc in but nothing even beeps to say it is detected, let alone the hardware wizard showing.
I have tried a few combinations. master/slave, my second hard drive that works fine, nothing shows up, i was wondering on 3 things?
1. is there a setting in BIOS that i need to activate to see external hdd
2. is there a setting in XP (sp1 by the way) i need to see an external hdd
3. is it totally defunct , lol, just it sounds working, just not showing
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated