Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing external hdd

• Please log in to reply

Bluefox

Bluefox

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi guy's

got one racking my brains here, i purchased a new maxtor 200GB drive and a new enclosure, read all the details for it, this was
1. ensure new drive is fdisked first (this was done and also reformatted to NTFS and is recognised by my PC after it was done)
2. Set new drives to master (after formatting i set the jumper to master according to maxtor's site)

The details say you just plug it in and go to "my computer" and it will be there, but for the life of me i cannot get it to show. when i turn it on (external power) it is working but nothing will show up, i have looked in device manager and use everest free to look, nothing, it claims only 98 needs drivers but i am on XP , but even so i have put a driver disc in but nothing even beeps to say it is detected, let alone the hardware wizard showing.

I have tried a few combinations. master/slave, my second hard drive that works fine, nothing shows up, i was wondering on 3 things?

1. is there a setting in BIOS that i need to activate to see external hdd
2. is there a setting in XP (sp1 by the way) i need to see an external hdd
3. is it totally defunct , lol, just it sounds working, just not showing

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated

Blue

Advertisements

Guest_Falu_*

Guest_Falu_*
Hi Bluefox,

I did the same thing last week, that is installing a hot-pluggable external hard drive and actually it appeared to be a peace of cake. In my case it was recommended to switch of the computer before connecting the HDD for the first time: Start > My Computer showed me (after some 20 sec.) the HDD as 'new volume'.

:tazz:

Bluefox

Bluefox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
thanks for the reply Falu,
After trying your idea i did notice that the drive was not making much noise (while i was rebooting) i then re-booted and tried again, still nothing, however, by this time i had the drive outside the enclosure, and noticed it was not moving, so i use my cd drive power and plugged it into the drive, instant working drive, but no recognition. I can only assume that the IDE part of the enclosure is faulty as well as the power, all the power seems to do is drive the fan ( loads of use if the drive has no power)

Thanks for your efforts, a new set of eyes and thoughts often yield results or opens new ideas overlooked, this enclosure is on its way back to the shop, lol

Thanks

Blue