Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing plug on power supply?

• Please log in to reply

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Ok, so I went out and bought a new power supply - Antec smart power 500 watt. When I went to install it I noticed that well it was missing a plug that the original PSU had. Has anyone ever heard of this? Is there an adapter I can buy to make this PS work? I really need it as the one thats in here is advertised as 250w, in actuality after I pulled it out and read the actual specs on it its only 170w MAX! So as you can see its not NEARLY enough power. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated,
Thanx,
-Pete.

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
What original plug did it have?
Do you mean the 15 pin SATA power connector?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what's the actual make and model of both psu's

p-zero

p-zero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Well, Ive found that its a proprietary unit (DELL). [bleep]S!!!!!!! Pissed me off SOOOO bad, to the point where I will NEVER buy another DELL product as long as I live!!
Heres the low down, DELL makes proprietary PSU's so they can RAPE you when you need to buy a bigger one. Where a normal ATX unit costs $100-130 (for a decent one 500 watt+), a sorry DELL replacement (if they even offer one), costs well over $200 and thats on eBay. On the DELL website they were roughly $250-300. That really pissed me off, that they would do something so assenine, F#$% DELL. Sorry about the rant I'm just REALLY disappointed.
-Pete.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Yup... that's exactly why I never buy a pre-made computer... I always build my own! Be very careful with OEM machines... in the case of Dells... using an incorrect power supply can blow your motherboard... they are definitely proprietory! Sad!

Edited by makai, 27 February 2006 - 05:18 PM.

UNC

UNC

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
are hp computers like this too, because i have an hp and im looking for a new psu, but im scared to buy one now.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
To my knowledge, HP is not using proprietary power supplies but to be on the safe side, I would email HP and ask them. I'm always concerned that a company that used to build pc's to ATX industry standards may all of the sudden start using proprietary parts.

Like makai, I build my own pc's to ATX industry standards......