Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Explorer

• Please log in to reply

thoughtparalysis

thoughtparalysis

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
The other night I go to my room to find my brother has, in some way or another, installed spyware onto my computer :tazz: . So I try to fix it by running Ad-Aware, and clean up and CWS Shredder, and for the most part it seems to be okay except for the spyware on the taskbar telling me that I have spyware and that I could uninstall it. But, that's beside the point. Whenever I try to open any file or program an alert message appears saying that Windows Explorer as suffered, or someother crazy verb, an error, and must be shut down. I then, of course, have the option of sending an error report to Microsoft, which I normally ignore, but I felt compelled to this time, and have most of the time this error has popped up. I can't run any applications. I tried to open Ad-Aware, but it was with no avail. The only way I've been able to open it it in safe mode. I'm not sure if this is a spyware problem(if so I'll be glad to post this in the HJT forum if you ask me to) or if this is a more serious problem. Thank you for this wonderful service, and thanks in advance for helping me.

Gratefully Yours,
Josef

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi thoughtparalysis...

Yup...this is a malware issue and you may end up back here for some help, as well. Let's get you cleaned up a bit first.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the Start Here.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself...then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. DO NOT REPLY TO OR BUMP YOUR OWN LOG. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1