Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MusicMatch? Yes? No?

• Please log in to reply

Vittitow

Vittitow

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just got a brand new dell computer that came pre-loaded with Yahoo musicmatch software. I resisted setting it up at first -- happy with Windows Media Player for what I do -- but the setup dialog came up every time I started the machine, and I finally wore down.

To be honest, Yahoo has left a bad taste in my mouth. On my old computer, I downloaded the Yahoo toolbar to test it out. Unlike the Google toolbar, which went away when I told it to, Yahoo reappeared every time I opened a new browser window. I have no patience with pushy programs that keep reappearing when I try to hide them. Plus, my experience with the free Yahoo music stations was not good either.

Here's my dilemma -- I don't particularly want Yahoo MusicMatch, but I am afraid that if I uninstall it, it will do something to Windows Media Player, because I cannot find WMP on my add/remove components/programs lists, but I DO find a "MusicMatch for Windows Media Player" on the list.

So.... any advice on audio players would be appreciated. I don't need all the bells & whistles, I just want to listen to a few CDs on my machine. And I'm scared to death of Yahoo at this point.

Advertisements

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
I haven't used musicmatch since the early days when they were just plain old musicmatch and not associated with yahoo. It's really quite decent software, very easy to use and the library is very easy to maintain.

windows media player does not appear in the add/remove list unless you edit a file to have it show all hidden programs, I wouldn't worry about removing that and even if you did, you can just go to microsoft and download it again and get the newest version. I think you might find that the musicmatch for windows media player thing is an add-on for windows media player. I'm not exactly sure what yahoo is doing to it these days.

personally I'd recommend winamp for all your music needs. It's small, uses very little resources, is quite stable and its generally really good.

http://www.winamp.com

Michael101

Michael101

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
when i used Musicmatch 7 i think it was when i was playing some music and whent to another program and switch back the whole program froze and the music kept playing so i unistalled it since this and never used it again.

rikkiburd

rikkiburd

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
michele101 you should use itunes because there the best music playing, burning, and you can use it to synchronize your mp3s to ipods and things like that.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hello Vittitow and welcome to G2G!

The uninstallation of Music Match shouldn't have any effect on WMP.

If you want to use a decent player then use Winamp, i've been using it since version 2.0 and never had a majot problem. There are loads of visualisations, skins and plugins for it.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I woud say that itunes, winamp, or media player are preferable. From v7 forward music match has become very bloated. its a system resource hog, prone to random errors over time. If they would just work on making the program more effecient, less buggy, smaller footprint and better resource handling I would go back to it. I do like it for ripping music however. but not enough to recomend the software.