Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

When I try to turn off my computer...

• Please log in to reply

lhp

lhp

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
I get this box:

END PROGRAM - SW

This program is not responding.

(If you .... yada yada yada)

END NOW CANCEL

Regardless of which choice I make, the computer will not shut down.
And to make things worse, I can't figure out what the heck "sw" is?

And ideas????

Advertisements

coasttech

coasttech

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Are you using windows XP? If you are press Ctrl+Alt+Delete and see if it is one of the processes running in the second tab. Do you see it there?

i think you might want to put a hijackthis report HERE

Edited by coasttech, 22 February 2006 - 10:04 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Please run hijackthis (see link in my signature), then save a log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post. We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

If you post a hijackthis log in this forum, several trusted techs will come to your house and eat all of your Ritz crackers, Cheeze Doodal and any sweet pickles you have in your fridge. We will also put our feet up on all of your coffee tables. This is no joke. We'll do it. It's not pretty.

lhp

lhp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
I added a reply with the hijackthis in the attachment, but I don't see it anywhere??

anyway, I think it has something to do with my Norton Anti-Virus, Anti-spam stuff because when I look at the "processes" nothing is running except that popping on and off the number 2 or 3 on and off for brief periods.

I am adding the attachment again, since I obviously did not do it correctly the first time.
I also highlighted an End Program - ccApp that appears for a brief second (but only sometimes) before the END PROGRAM - SW that won't turn off.

Thanks again.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi lhp...

Try zipping the log and attach it as a .zip file. (Right click the saved log, point to "Send to" and select "Compressed Folder".)

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I have attached lhp's to this post.

wannabe1

Attached Files

lhp

lhp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Thanks so much for helping me with that.

Honestly they should not allow me near anything that requires pushing a button!!

lhp

lhp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Are you using windows XP? If you are press Ctrl+Alt+Delete and see if it is one of the processes running in the second tab. Do you see it there?
i think you might want to put a hijackthis report HERE

I am using windows XP. When this happens there is nothing in the Application box. The Process box does have something happening with the taskmgr.exe (like 2%). Sorry it took me so long to report this, we are headed on vacation and I am in the mist of packing. Thanks!