Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

From Windows ME to Windows 2000

• Please log in to reply

kimm213

kimm213

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Dell x86 based Pentium III 1000mhz pc with 512 ram and 2gig memory. It came with Windows ME. I would like to install either Windows 2000 or Windows XP on this computer. Can it be done? Will it work? Thanks!

Advertisements

HyDekar

HyDekar

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
I don't see why not. My computer (AMD Duron 800Mhz, 512RAM) came with Windows ME as well, and a while ago we tried out Windows 2000 on it, and it worked.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Just like to add, do NOT leave Windows ME installed. Format the C: drive first, then install Win2K. Your system will run much better and will be less prone to error problems. It's never a good idea to leave previous OS installed (unless it's dual-boot)--- a 'clean' install is always best.