Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Email problems

• Please log in to reply

crypticpat

crypticpat

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
For several days I have been unable to access my Hotmail account from my home computer. I get a variety of messages - cannot find server, server busy etc. Even Outlook Express cannot download my Hotmail messages.

I have run comprehensive spy and virus checks - nothing there. I've even run System Restore. I've tried from all angles - through Messenger, Start Menu, Links - I've run out of ideas.

I have no problem accessing my messages from my computer at work - however within a week I will be redundant and out of work, so that option is cut off.

I'm also unable to enter My Ebay - nothing happens when I click on it. I've been able to enter my alternate email account and to receive messages, however cannot sent them. I also couldn't send this message from my home computer.

I would be grateful for any ideas as I have totally run out of them.

crypticpat

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
register these three DLLS

start > run
schannel.dll
<enter>

start > run
rsabase.dll
<enter>

start > run
rsaenh.dll
<enter>

crypticpat

crypticpat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Unable to run rsabase.dll

I was also unable to post this message myself and had to get a friend to send it.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you will never be able to get on secure websites without rsabase.dll...easiest way to fix this is to do a repair install

Read here:

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

crypticpat

crypticpat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks for that advice. Unable to use it yet as I was not supplied with CD when I bought this computer and will have to talk to the vendor on Monday.

Interesting thing happened though - for some hours I was unable to connect via Broadband so reverted to dial up - and was able to access my emails - everything appeared normal again. Now back on Broadband and cannot access Hotmail again - in fact will probably have to revert to dial up to send this to you. Is there any explanation for this behaviour?

Thanks again.
Crypticpat

Ps - yes back on dial up to send this!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Open outlook express: tools > accounts > mark your account and click properties > servers > check "my server requires authentication". Try to send a test mail.

crypticpat

crypticpat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Did as instructed, could only find 'my server needs authentication' for my Ozemail account, not for my Hotmail account. Hotmail shows 'My mail is an HTTP server'.
I don't normally use Outlook Express, I just go directly to Hotmail. Will now attempt to send this via broadband.
crypticpat

Didn't go am now back on dial up

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Can you freely enter other internet sites except for those mentioned (e-bay, g2g, hotmail)?

try the following: Internet explorer > tools > intenet options

1: Enter Privacy and make sure that privacy level is Medium (default)
2: Enter Security and register Hotmail as a trusted site.
3: Enter Programs and in E-mail register Hotmail.
4: Enter Advanced and restore defaults.

Any difference?

crypticpat

crypticpat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Magic!! Went straight in to Hotmail. Thank you very much
Pat

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.

Ami Yogev

Advertisements

crypticpat

crypticpat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Can you believe it? Powered up the computer this morning and unable to access my Hotmail account either dial up or broadband. I didn't change a thing, other than shutting it down for the night.
Pat

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://fileforum.bet...ll/1131569373/2

download the above, install and run the fix for secure sites in the right column

crypticpat

crypticpat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Did that. Has partially solved the problem in that I can now download mail through Outlook Express, however unable to access Hotmail directly, either by dial up or broadband. Look like the gremlins have got me.
By the way, I did get a message from the postmaster re an undeliverable email - interesting in that it was to someone I had never heard of - is this just another symptom of the problems I'm having?
Your help and advice is greatly appreciated - thanks,
Pat
PS Had to revert to dial up to send this

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
When you repeat the procedures suggested before, can you enter Hotmail? Re. Outlook express, the tick in the authentication box is what you needed to make it send mail.

The mailmaster note: This most probably contain malware. You never sent this mail but someone used your account to spread malware.

crypticpat

crypticpat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Still cannot enter Hotmail directly at all or send anything while on broadband. Interestingly enough was able to receive and send for a while last night after entering through the 'back door' link in a page, however this morning I was back to my previous problem. At least I can access my mail through Outlook Express, but still can't anything unless I revert to dial up.
Pat