Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Install a new alone AGP display card

• Please log in to reply

redwave250443

redwave250443

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Mainboard: 845PE, with a integrated display card
''
At first, I entered into BIOS to disable the integrated display card by option 'AGP'->'PCI', then rebooted computer till windows flag flashing appeared, following,the whole screen was blank and nothing was not seen.

I think maybe original display card driver is still in OS that cause the phenomenon and the new display card did not drive correctly. I tried to repair Windows SP with CD and the isse was solved at last. However, the issue appeared again when turned off power and rebooted it. Why? Any help are appreciated.

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
When the screen goes blank plug the monitor cable into the integrated card, do you get a display now?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
when switching from integrated to agp cards..you should install the new card...then install all the new driverss for it...THEN disable the onboard video

redwave250443

redwave250443

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Oh, if I installed as your guide, the screen would not display correctly, just because of this cause, I must repair the Windows XP to enter it......

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
? explain that a little clearer please

redwave250443

redwave250443

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Dsenette, first I installed AGP display card while shutting down computer power, then rebooted computer, entered into BIOS to disable the option 'AGP', changed it and set as 'PCI', then rebooted machine once again.

During the process of re-boot, machine can identify a new display card.However, computer stop to run when Windows XP logo appear. I must repair it if I want to enter OS.

Any unclear detail please let me know. Thanks.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok...so...your computer started out with an onboard video card right? then you wanted to switch to an agp card right? what you need to do...is leave the onboard video card enabled...physically install the agp card...boot into windows (still on onboard video..) once you're in windows (you may need to do this in safe mode) install all the most current drivers for the agp card...THEN reboot...get into bios...and turn off the onboard video

redwave250443

redwave250443

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Oh, I see, thank so much for your warm-hearted help.