Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very Odd USB problem

• Please log in to reply

HarlemWorld

HarlemWorld

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Just joined the forums seems like a great community..thank god for nerds:) lol

Anyways here goes my problem!

Allright in the back of my CPU I have two USB ports which are directly connected to the mother board..the first USB port for my printer, second for webcam, ipod, etc.. Unfortunetly somebody broke my second USB port (the plastic inbetween the small wires has broken off) ..I think this is causing a shortage in my computer, because now if I unplug my printer from the first USB port my mouse and keyboard both just stop working, until I replug the printer then everything is fine, If I take the printer out and try to put in the web cam or any other USB driven device into the first USB, the computer wont recognize the hardware and wont install, PLUS once again the mouse and keyboard stop working..Also If I try to restart without the printer unplugged it doesn't even reach windows, I hit an error that says "Keys locked- Unlock keys", and I have to totally turn off my pc, put in the printer and restart for it to work again..

I was figuring that both USBs are ruined but my printer still works on the first one, I can still printe and everything but it seems like my entire computer is depending on the printer being plugged in and nothing else...Does any one know any way around this problem that maybe would get the computer to recognize the webcam into the first port or any suggestions on wha tI should do would be greatly apperciated!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can connect a powered hub to the working port, which would let you connect up to seven other peripherals

However, the important thing is to correct the possibility of a short, either by turning the PC off, disconnecting the power lead, opening the case to check the wiring to the USB ports, if the actual port is damaged, at least disconnect the wires and tape them off so they cannot cause any damage. If you do not want to open the case, take it to a local computer shop so they can replace the ports

HarlemWorld

HarlemWorld

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Allright thanks for the help..do you knwo if they would be able to replace the USB even if its connected to the motherboard..and do you know the average cost of a power hub so I could connect all the usbs???

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It's worth asking if the can change the ports, you can get a 4 port powered hub for 7 GBP / 12 USD though there are 7 ports hubs about, check they will run USB 2