Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ATI Omega Driver Problems

• Please log in to reply

sammyblank

sammyblank

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi Guys. I have resently changed to using the ATI Omega drivers instead of the catalyst ones. I uninstalled all ATI components from my comp and then I installed the latest Omega package. Everything seemed to go fine, I was able to play games, and play around with the settings with the card, until I restarted and messages came up. Upon the restarted a couple messages came up and said,

"The file 'atinmdxx.sys' on ATI Drivers Release CD is needed" and is appartently trying to install ATI WDM specialized MVD codec.

"The file 'atinrvxx.sys' on ATI Drivers Release CD is needed" and is appartently trying to install ATI WDM Rage Theater Video.

These two messages come up each time I restart, and appear to be trying to access these files from C:/temp.
Could someone please help me with this issue. Any assistance will be much appreciated. Cheers.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you use the cat uninstaller as well as add / remove

sammyblank

sammyblank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks for the fast reply Keith. To answer your question, I'm pretty sure I didn't unistall the cat software through add/remove. Yesterday I restarted my computer again and when the dialogue boxes came up prompting for the missing files, I searched on my computer for these files and found one of them in c:/system 32/drivers/. I attached this address, and it seemed to install the codec or whatever is was trying to install. As I said I couldn't find the other file so I just canceled that one. Anyway the boxes don't come up anymore, although it does seem abit slow in loading up programs which appear in my system tray. Is there a way to test if everything is OK with Omega. And by the way, what do you think of these drivers? Thanks for all your assistance. Sam

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you can download the Omega drivers, if needed, go to the ATI site to get the cat uninstaller

[attachment=6808:attachment]

This might uninstall the Omega ones, even if it does not, uninstall those then reboot and re-install them, download them first so you won't have a problem getting them

Additionally, though optionally, you can run through this after removing the drivers, then re-install after tune up

Download, install and run Tune Up 2006 Trial

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete.

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click optimize and improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor