Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing Windows XP Corp while Windows XP is installed

• Please log in to reply

Grantax

Grantax

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
I'm using Windows XP Professional, but I want to install Windows XP Pro Corporate.
Is it possible to install it, and remove XP.
But I still want to keep all installed programs, and the registry. (And everything else such as users etc... ALL files)

I also use RAID (mirroring) if it matters.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
First off, there is no difference between Pro and Corporate in terms of operability. The only difference is the License.

Secondly, if you were to install Corp, there is no way to keep the registry belonging to Pro.. unless, you install Corp onto a different partition on your hard drive... in which case, will mean that none of you programs will work from the Corp GUI. Although... some programs are smart enough to install the correct registry entries into the Corp registry on first run, so you may be able to run some programs simply by accessing them on the Pro partition... not all will work.

So the question is... why would you want to install Corp over Pro in the first place seeing as they are identical in terms of operability? Makes no sense unless it's a work thing... in which case, you IT department should be handling it for you.

Grantax

Grantax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Ok, never mind then =P