Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sata II

• Please log in to reply

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
hey guys
i am looking to get another hard drive i have a gigabyte GA-8i775-G motherboard, now it does have a sata connection (little red connnections)
but i was wondering if my board just says sata connection doest that mean it can handle sataII.
i no sata II transfers faster and i want it to do video editing on ( not hard-core ) but the problem is can a normal sata connection run both sata and sataII (not together at the same time).

thanks guys
troppo

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. Your motherboard manual should tell you. If you don't have a manual, you can go to http://www.giga-byte.com/Default.htm and get one.

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
the motherboard manual tells me that there are sata0 and sata1 connections but can these be used for a sata II drive.

are theese connections only for a sata raid connection or set-up?
sata hard drives are a heck of alot fatser than the regular ide drives but is there much of a difference between sata I and ide? if its not really worth it then i wont bother,
thankyou for your assistance

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
There is lots of information on SATA at this link
http://www.hardforum...ad.php?t=754424
The answer to your question is probably there.

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
no luck :tazz:
somebody please tell me
can a SATA II drive be pluggede into a SATA port on my motherboard without the board or manual telling me that the plug is sata II
thanks

FalloutYear

FalloutYear

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

no luck :tazz:
somebody please tell me
can a SATA II drive be pluggede into a SATA port on my motherboard without the board or manual telling me that the plug is sata II
thanks

I believe it cannot. SATA I and SATA II have different port styles I believe. If your manual does not mention SATA II, then most likely it's not compatible with your model. I'm having trouble finding specs for you motherboard because Gigabyte's site is running very slow and get a 404 when I try to search.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
SATA I and II ports are identical except that SATAIIs on most boards use the newer SATA connector thats identical except it has a clip to hold the cable in place.

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
ok nothing is mentioned in the motherboard manual actually im pretty disapointed with the manual it really isnt that helpfull its very basic with not much description anyway
does anybody no where i could get a SATAII host controler card ( im australia ) that runs on pci NOT
pci-express

thanks for your help

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
has anybody seen or heard of these i can find sata1 host adapters but not sataII cards do they even exist if they run on pci or is this slowing down the transfer rates and i shouldnt bother
thanks guys