Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer will not defrag

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

weAponX

weAponX

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ah, eh: Well, I see some things here I am gonna try, I do not have a dirty bit though:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>fsutil dirty query c:
Volume - c: is NOT Dirty

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

So, see a couple of other things I am gonna try.

Look, I read Keith's reply in there that consisted of "downloading a 3rd party proggy and then upgrading all the security updates"

Sorry, when I scanned through that, I saw red: First off, XP can be fixed even if you are getting the BSOD, and you don;t really need extra stuff to do it. Second, downloading the security updates is NOT a solution, most of that stuff is for M$'s benefit, not ours. Look, didn't XP run GREAT right outta the box? Then use it that way... The only security things I download are the things that have to do with bonafide threats, like the Blaster worm, and other things that abuse the PC via common services. M$ ships XP so that when it is installed it is expected that the person will go right on the net. But that ought not to be so, it ought to be sold chiefly as an OS, secondly as an internet appliance.

So, I, and my clients, we have certain computers that we use to do work on- this is where I come in, I save the work, I backup the databases, I keep the LANs in line, I kick the routers arses until it works right.

When I set up a client, I keep them protected 17,000 ways from Sunday...

Ah, well that's a rant... Look I've never encountered this before, anyone know what is basically going on... If I have to use a 3rd party tool to fix it, so be it. All mindsoft does is clean up the temp folders and registry.

Allrighty... Thanx in advance if anyone knows why this is happening. If I have to, I'll post a log of the the myriad things I removed from this here PC.

oh yah:

i'm having the same problem chkdsk /f will not run. cannot de frag

don't have zonealarm or spyware doc installed

start - run 'cmd' - the box flashes up then disappears

am i retarded? or is it my machine?

It's yer machine... I've seen that happen, you probably have some spyware running that is telling CMD to shut off.

Type start>run>msconfig and tell us what is starting when the computer starts?

Also, right click on My Computer and pull up MANAGE. Go to "Event Viewer" and then "System" and look for red X's - the error that dropped the CMD window ought to show.

Which reminds me, whenever DEFRAG fails to run on this PC, this is what the event viewer shows:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: PctSpk
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 3/15/2006
Time: 12:13:37 PM
User: N/A
Computer: HOME
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( PctSpk ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: PctSpk error: 1063, StartServiceCtrlDispatcher failed..

"pctspk" has something to do with the PCTel Modem and the PC Speaker. I think, the speaker was trying to "BEEP" and failed.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The first reply wasn't supposed to make defrag run, it was supposed to fix the reason it wouldn't run, the second reply were options, which did include third party software, something most computers have

Posting a question to a resolved thread is likely to be overlooked

weAponX

weAponX

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
The thead is not resolved unless everyone is fixed, right? Well, I tried all of the suggestions even yours, and the defrag.exe command refuses basically to run. The only error message I get is that "defrag cannot start"

I even downloaded those pos programs you suggested, well that one tool thing cleaned out some reg entries that mindsoft could not get, but other than that, I still cannot defrag the drive.

I even converted it ot NTFS.

So, what else could be preventing defrag.exe (or dfrgntfs.exe in this case, now) to run?

I booted up to Command Prompt in XP and it STILL would not run.

Remember: I re-installed XP, I'll do it again if I have to

I used that system file check and restored my system files

What else can I do? This is not my machine so I cannot format the hard drive. Also, everything else runs great now that I got most of the viruses.

I'll probably work on this one more day and if I cannot defrag it, I'll take the drive out and defrag it in another machine. Unless someone can help me figure out why the defragger will not start. This fooging problem defies all logic.

Edited by weAponX, 16 March 2006 - 01:24 PM.

weAponX

weAponX

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
What else? Oh yes, I had also mentioned that yesterday when I discovered this little problem I typed "XP Defrag failure" into Google and this thread was one of the first three responses. AND the one that had the most useful into I may add.

So if anyone has something else I can try, please aim it at me... I am probably gonna do another in-place install, what the heck eh? Only takes 30 minutes.

Maybe some into on the machine:

This seems to be a PCCHIPS machine, the motherboard has the chip from a laptop in it.

Computer
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 1
DirectX 4.08.01.0810 (DirectX 8.1)
Computer Name HOME
User Name CHRIS

Motherboard
CPU Type Mobile AMD Athlon XP, 1300 MHz (13 x 100)
Motherboard Name PCChips M810DLU (2 PCI, 1 CNR, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)
Motherboard Chipset SiS 740
System Memory 224 MB (PC2100 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (11/27/03)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display
Video Adapter SiS 650_651_M650_M652_740 (32 MB)
3D Accelerator SiS 315 Integrated
Monitor CTX VL700, MS700, PL7 Series, 17-Group 69KHz/160Hz [17" CRT]

Multimedia
Audio Adapter SiS 7012 Audio Device

Storage
IDE Controller SiS PCI IDE Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive WDC WD400BB-75FRA0 (37 GB, IDE)
Optical Drive CD-ROM Drive
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions
C: (NTFS) 38146 MB (32400 MB free)

Input
Keyboard PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 Keyboard (101/102-Key)
Mouse Microsoft PS/2 Mouse

Network
Network Adapter SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (192.168.0.104)
Modem HSP56 MR

Peripherals
Printer \\WEAPONX-2\hp deskjet 3600 series
Printer Lexmark 2200 Series
Printer LexmarkFax
USB1 Controller SiS 7001 PCI-USB Open Host Controller
USB1 Controller SiS 7001 PCI-USB Open Host Controller
USB2 Controller SiS 7002 USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller

what else? Here are the properties for the hard drive:

Field Value
ATA Device Properties
Model ID WDC WD400BB-75FRA0
Serial Number WD-WMAJE1098386
Revision 77.07W77
Parameters 77505 cylinders, 16 heads, 63 sectors per track, 600 bytes per sector
LBA Sectors 78125000
Buffer 2 MB (Dual Ported, Read Ahead)
Multiple Sectors 16
ECC Bytes 74
Max. PIO Transfer Mode PIO 4
Max. UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 5 (ATA-100)
Active UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 5 (ATA-100)
Unformatted Capacity 44703 MB

ATA Device Features
SMART Supported
Security Mode Not Supported
Power Management Supported
Advanced Power Management Not Supported
Write Cache Supported
Host Protected Area Supported
Power-Up In Standby Not Supported
Automatic Acoustic Management Supported
48-bit LBA Supported
Device Configuration Overlay Supported

ATA Device Manufacturer
Company Name Western Digital Corporation
Product Information http://www.westerndi...com/en/products

Does anyone see anything odd, maybe I am missing some proprietary driver? If anyone sees anything I missed, TIA.

Edited by weAponX, 16 March 2006 - 01:39 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
this is not your thread...you posted in a someone else's thread, and his issue was resolved

Then you revived a thread and continue to do so....to make matters worse, you started another thread and are now posting in two places at once, increasing the difficulty of helping you...