Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

replacing hd with 160GB - 137GB limitation

• Please log in to reply

CobolWizard

CobolWizard

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Started having problems with my measly 20GB hard drive and decided (finally) to replace it. Planned on leaving the old drive in as a slave while I migrate files onto the new drive. Got a good deal on a 160GB. When I run the setup, it wants to limit the new drive to 137GB.

I intend to install XP Pro and update it up to current (sp2 + patches - CD is prior to SP1). Went to manufacturer site and they indicate that, after I update XP, I can then partition the remaining space (using Disk Management)?? Does anyone know if this is true? This is a Dell P3 600, 384MB Ram.

I tried to reinstall the original drive, but problem now is that the original drive wont boot (missing files, it says - they were there yesterday!). So I may have to bite the bullet soon either way.

If anyone out there has done this, or knows of it being done successfully, I would appreciate a prompt response. The laptop is nice, but most of my software is only on the Dell.

Thanks for reading my novel and (hopefully) for helping out a (semi-)geek!

CobolWizard

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Before SP1 drives were smaller than 140Gb so they didnt support larger drives updating to the latest version of xp should clear it up, unless the motherboard is also limited to smaller drives which is possible older mobos dont always support larger and judging by the specs that may be the case, Also check you havent got the drives jumber set to clip its size..