Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot do a clean os reinstall-blue screen bules

• Please log in to reply

lljacunski

lljacunski

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i recently updated xp for my mother,everything downloaded and instaled, promped me to restart, and then a black screen windows detected a problem and shut down the computer. so i rstarted in last known something or another and got this msg. System32\DRIVERS\i3apnp.sys may be coruped or missing then suggesting to try the reinstall os disk for repair. i decided to just do a clean reinstall. enter BLUE SCREEN of DEATH ***stop 0x00000051(0x00000004,0x00000001,0xe101c170,0x000001e8) no new os reinstall. i then booted dell resource cd and scaned the whole computer, nothing. tried over and over to reinstall os with the same blue screen. i have never heard of this before. would a new harddrive solve problem

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
this, I have not seen before ==> i3apnp.sys

Obviously, some sort of plug and play driver, but for what? I don't know. It must be an add-on piece of hardware.

The 00051 error is a registry corruption, and yes, I think given the amount of time invested, I would probably just wipe it clean and start fresh...is that still what you want to do?

You can use a win98 boot floppy to remove all partitions, and start from scratch assuming you have a windows xp cd

do you know how to do that?

With the boot floppy, you would run fdisk, then delete all non-dos partitions

Then, boot with the Windows Xp cd and it will create partitions and format them, and install

lljacunski

lljacunski

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
whats this floppy thing just kidding, the computer dose not have one. i did not know people still use those. how about the old cassets. the only way in is the cd rom. the computer is a dell2400 that is almost never matained. she had installed a photo share thing from kodak and the computer was acting up before i updated windows. she also said some "drive thingy somethingy" kept poping up and she would keep closeing it and closeing it. what it said i will never know. thanks gerry if i only had a floppy

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Here is a windows floppy disk on a cd

http://www.thecomput...ic.com/boot.iso

You need to burn this image to a CD and boot your computer with it--this is different than burning a file to a CD. If you do not know how to burn an ISO image, then download the following program to another Windows XP machine, install it.

http://isorecorder.a...isorecorder.htm

After installation, right click the boot.iso file you downloaded above and choose COPY IMAGE TO CD.

Then reboot your PC with that CD in the CD-ROM drive and the PC set to boot from CD first in the bios boot order

This will behave just like a floppy boot disk

After booting, choose FDISK then choose 3 to delete partitions, and choose non-dos partition

This will leave you with a completely blank cd

boot with the windows cd next and follow the prompts to reinstall windows