Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Increase Strength of Wireless

• Please log in to reply

Loganbiz

Loganbiz

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
:tazz: Does anyone have suggestions for increasing the range of a wireless network? I recently purchased a U.S. Robotics Wireless MaxG router to update my wireless network from wireless b. I was hoping the increased speed would allow us to successfully connect the XBox through a wireless connection. (We had some difficulty trying set up the Xbox wirelessly.) The Xbox dashboard will give information about the connection. While the speed seems to be okay (varys between about 30 and about 54 bps), it seems the signal strength is too weak in my son's room. The laptop seems to work just fine, but it's too weak for the XBox. Is there a good (for good please read, inexpensive and reasonably uncomplicated) way to increase the strength, or should I just return this router for a different model / brand? I liked that this router had a bulit-in print server. It was on sale for only $20. (Maybe that should have been a clue to me.) I was expecting to pay about $60-$80 for a router.

Thanks for suggestions.

Advertisements

Loganbiz

Loganbiz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Oops --- Typo--- make that 30 - 54 mbps. I suppose 30 - 54 bps would be incredibly slow, slightly faster than the tape drive on my old TRS-80, but incredibly slow.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.google.co.....uter booster"

you may want to check these out...or search for wireless range boosters or something to that effect..i once read an article about making a parabolic antenna booster out of a pringles can...but i can't find it anymore

Loganbiz

Loganbiz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks. I'll try getting a booster antenna.