Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The Evil Beeps

• Please log in to reply

Logic_Overflow

Logic_Overflow

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
When I boot up my computer it gives out constant beeps. I know this is hardware related. The CPU & HD light flashes in the front of my computer. However, at times, when I boot up, it doesn't beep at all and everything seems like its working. Considering that it's on and off, not sure what I should really do. I checked the cables for the HD, got new cables for the HD and it still is on and off. As for the CPU Light flashing.. any free tests I can download to do a check on it?

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Bios beeps do indicate hardware failure. However, this doesn't mean there is bad hardware... it could be as simple as reseating your ram, video card, even processor.

Bios beeps also have meaning. The pattern of the beeping will help to indicate which hardware is being flagged. If you know the maker of your motherboard, we can determine which codes pertain to your machine.

Can you tell us what the pattern of the beeping sounds like?

Logic_Overflow

Logic_Overflow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
The pattern of beeps are constant, as in beep quiet for a second, beep.. I have a MSI MB. I tried reseating the HD, should I try that with the Video Card & RAM?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Yes, I would reseat both the ram and video card.

Also in my signature is a program called Aida32. Download/unzip/install and run. In the left panel, click on the (+) sign of Computer, then Summary... look under Motherboard and you will see some specifics... list the make, model, bios type. Then, click on Sensor and list the temps and voltage readings also. This information will help if reseating doesn't.

Logic_Overflow

Logic_Overflow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
I reseated the RAM & Video Card and it still beeps.

Here are my comp's specs:

Motherboard Name: MSI 865PE Neo2-PS (MS-6728 v2.0)
Motherboard Chipet: Intel Springdale i865PE
Processor: Intel Pentium 4A, 2800MHz (5.25 x 533)
System Memory: 3072 MB (DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type: AMI (09/16/2004)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700LE (256 MB)
I built the computer myself.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Did you happen to check the voltages and temps?

HERE'S the link to the AMI bios beep codes. You might want to glance them over and see if you can determine which applies to what you're hearing.

When a computer boots up, the bios sends out a bunch of checks expecting specific responses from the hardware. It will check the ram, vid card, processor, PS voltages, keyboard, and mouse... and even the fan speeds (there may be others unrelated to external hardware). If all check in with the expected response, the bios will then allow the OS to boot.

Apparrently, there is something the bios doesn't like! You might try reseating your keyboard and mouse, or even changing them out. If you have other hardware you can swap in, like another vid card or ram module, you could try that too. If you have more than one ram module installed, try pulling one out and running with only one of them... (also swap between the modules to isolate). You should also try entering bios and checking your fan speeds/voltages (most likely in PCHEALTH menu).

You could also try removing the bios battery and leaving it out for a minute or two to reset the bios to default settings.

BTW... You're not overclocking anything, are you?

Hopefully, it's not the motherboard. :tazz:

On a side note, I almost bought the NEO when I built my own computer. How do you like it, and has it been trouble free / user friendly for the most part? I need a spare in case my IS7 dies, so maybe I'll go looking for one of these. :)