Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card Speeds

• Please log in to reply

millertime214

millertime214

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I was just wondering,...when it comes to graphics cards, which clock is more important? Is it the Core Clock or the Memory Clock? I've noticed that the memory clock is faster, but I assume there's a reason the core clock tends to be listed first. I'm looking through a few newer GeForce cards right now & I'd really like to know how to distinguish them. Thanks for your help!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Theres really more to it than even core and memory speeds. Heres some good reading on some middle range cards. Be sure to look at the links pages on the conclusion page as they have a lot of info.

http://techreport.co...fx/index.x?pg=1

SRX660

millertime214

millertime214

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Ok, well, I think I'm gonna go with this one...

XFX PVT43GUDF3 Geforce 6600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

Here's the description at Newegg.com

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Ok, well, I think I'm gonna go with this one...

XFX PVT43GUDF3 Geforce 6600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

Here's the description at Newegg.com

I wouldnt get that video card as its 16gb/s bandwith its okay but the price to performance ratio is not good.

If you look at the 6800gs its 2 times faster and you can find one for $180... Only $18 more for a video card twice as fast. In a video card the most important part of the card is the Memory Bandwidth which is the Gb/s or in other words Gigabytes per second.

Im glad I caught you in time. Just saved your butt from getting a bad deal on a video card. LOL.

You shure you need the video card for pci express 16x?

actually this one is on sale at newegg.com

$179.00

-$10 instant savings

$169.00

mail in rebate if you get it is $15.00

so = $154, cheaper than the 6600gt and twice as fast well how about that?? :tazz:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130267

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
i agree with jrm, the 6800GS is by far better. the badnwith isn't the most important. anything above 20GB/s is adequate, not sure how you work it out though, just make sure its GDDR3. that's the thing, the RAM costs half the [bleep] gfx card. also, note the vertex shader and pipeline count, higher is better for both. XFX is a good brand, hands down one of the best, even better than BFG in my eyes, BFGs lifetime thing is unnessary unless you OC a lot. look at the X800GTO also, it has one more vertex shader but they are about even. to find out the pixelfill rate of your gfx card, pipelines x core clock=pixel fill rate, that is also important. check if you r AGP or PCI-E first though

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
The 6800gs has 32 Gb/sec memory bandwith vs the 16 Gb/sec of the 6600gt.

Just buy the 6800gs, I hope he didnt already buy the 6600gt lol.

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
yer lol

millertime214

millertime214

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks for the help guys. I have not bought the card yet. I'm actually still a couple weeks away from that. Would the 6800 really make that big of a difference? I'm not a heavy gamer, I just play some games two or three times a week, but nothing too intense. The card I picked out still fits in my current budget whereas this new card wouldn't. Also, the 6600 gives me another $10 off my processor on a combo deal. So really if I get this 6800 I'm spending another $28. I realize it's not much, but I'm kinda limited on this. Is this really a big enough deal to want to rearrange other things to get it? Or would it just help me go from pretty good graphics to really good graphics? Honestly it's not the most important thing in the world to me. But your opinions are appreciated & I really am listening to them. Thanks for your help!

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Thanks for the help guys. I have not bought the card yet. I'm actually still a couple weeks away from that. Would the 6800 really make that big of a difference? I'm not a heavy gamer, I just play some games two or three times a week, but nothing too intense. The card I picked out still fits in my current budget whereas this new card wouldn't. Also, the 6600 gives me another $10 off my processor on a combo deal. So really if I get this 6800 I'm spending another $28. I realize it's not much, but I'm kinda limited on this. Is this really a big enough deal to want to rearrange other things to get it? Or would it just help me go from pretty good graphics to really good graphics? Honestly it's not the most important thing in the world to me. But your opinions are appreciated & I really am listening to them. Thanks for your help!

The 6800gs is still going to be cheaper than the 6600gt you picked out even with your combo deal. Why would you get a 6600gt when its half as slow?? Im telling you factual information yes the 6800gs is that much better and its in the same price range..

Get what you want I will leave that up to you millertime214. :tazz:

millertime214

millertime214

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Well, as of yesterday there was a mail-in rebate on the 6600. That seems to be gone now so it definitely doesn't make sense to get it. Anyways, thanks for all the help & I'm glad I will be getting the right card. :tazz:

Also, I think I will get this card. It is the exact same card for the exact same price, only a little bit faster.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130271

Edited by millertime214, 01 March 2006 - 08:14 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Cool they just put that one on sale today. That site always has sales every day.