Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Word Frozen

• Please log in to reply

eddiev

eddiev

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi,

When I click on the "Word" desktop icon or use the Start Button (I have Win ME), the Microsoft Word (Program) won't open to get to documents.

It starts, showing the Windows Word (2000) Logo, but then freezes. The hour glass symbol just turns and turns. This happened about 2 years ago. I don't remember the steps to take to restore the Word to get to files.

Thanks for your help.

eddie

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you use Norton open it, click options, misc options and disable the Office plug in, click apply

eddiev

eddiev

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi Keith,

I have MacAfee.

eddie

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does it have an option to scan Office documents, the usual sign of an anti virus programme doing this is Word flashing in the tasbar but not opening

eddiev

eddiev

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi Keith,

Word did flash in task bar, but did not open. The Logo for Word pops up when the icon is clicked and the hour glass turns as if it is opening the Word program. It freezes instead.

When I looked in MacAfee's Security file, it showed Microsoft Word "active" along with the components of the security system.

eddiev

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When you are offline, turn McAfee off and then open Word, if it opens quickly then look through the help section for McAfee in relation to Microsoft Office

eddiev

eddiev

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks Keith!

eddiev