Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Interface Issue

• Please log in to reply

lugnutz87

lugnutz87

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi,
I was working on my boss' spare computer and was running CleanUp when his computer went into Hibernate mode, which I was never able to get it out of. Upon reboots, the normal startup process begins with the Windows screen loading, ect. After that, all I get is a black screen with a mouse cursor that I can move around, but no other functionality. Ive rebooted in Safe Mode, SM with Command Prompt, and from Last Good Config and get the same result each time. Any ideas on what I should do from here? :tazz:
Thanks!
Sean

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
sounds like a corrupted profile

let's try the simple thing first

Get yourself a windows xp cd and boot with that, set the PC to boot from the CD in bios and choose R for the recovery console

type
chkdsk /r
<enter>

at the prompt

let it run

try to reboot

lugnutz87

lugnutz87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
No Luck :)
It repaired something, but upon rebooting i get the same problem. Ran the check again and it didnt find any problems. Still stuck on that black screen.
On to step 2 :tazz:
Sean

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
time for a windows repair

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

lugnutz87

lugnutz87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Sorry for the delay, work has been busy and I havent had time to mess with this for a while.
I repaired Windows like the link said to, reboot, still the same problem.
I ran the recovery console again, it fixed one or more problems. Reboot, still the same problem :tazz:
Thanks for any advice!
Sean

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
when logging as safe mode, were you able to connect to the administrator account?

If not, can you log into safe mode with command line?

If so

at the prompt, type

net user test /add
<enter>

then reboot.

You should have a new account, called TEST

can you log into that?

lugnutz87

lugnutz87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Nope :tazz:

When I start in Safe Mode (w or w/o command prompt), all I get is a black screen, the 4 safe mode texts in the corner, windows xp up top, and a mouse cursor.