Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

virus/spyware problems?! [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Zylocks

Zylocks

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
hey, im on my friends computer, and he only had a virus program (AVG), and noticed that his computer was going a bit slow.

i realized he didn't have spyware/adaware programs so i tried installing some for him. I tried to install SuperAntispyware, adaware, and spybot S&D. none of them worked, they all said that something was corrupted.

For instance, the ad-aware pop up said (after downloading the installer), 'Cannot start setup - the setup file may be corrupt, or you may have the wrong password. If you downloaded this file, please download a fresh copy. If the file is password protected, check your password and try again.'

i tried installing them multiple times, and they all give the same-ish problems.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Adam

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hmm sounds intriguing lets have a deep look this programme does not need installing. Can AVG update ?

Download avz4.zip from here
  • Unzip it to your desktop to a folder named avz4
  • Double click on AVZ.exe to run it.
  • Run an update by clicking the Auto Update button on the Right of the Log window: Posted Image
  • Click Start to begin the update
Note: If you recieve an error message, chose a different source, then click Start again

• Start AVZ.
  • Choose from the menu "File" => "Standard scripts " and mark the "Healing/Quarantine and Advanced System Investigation" check box.
  • Click on the “Execute selected scripts”.
  • Automatic scanning, healing and system check will be executed.
  • A logfile (avz_sysinfo.htm) will be created and saved in the LOG folder in the AVZ directory as virusinfo_syscure.zip.
  • It is necessary to reboot your machine, because AVZ might disturb some program operations (like antiviruses and firewall) during the system scan.
  • All applications will work properly after the system restart.

When restarted

• Start AVZ.
  • Choose from the menu "File" => "Standard scripts " and mark the “Advanced System Investigation" check box.
  • Click on the "Execute selected scripts".
  • A system check will be automatically performed, and the created logfile (avz_sysinfo.htm) will be saved in the LOG folder in the AVZ directory as virusinfo_syscheck.zip.

Attach both zip files to your next post

To attach a file, do the following:
  • Click Add Reply
  • Under the reply panel is the Attachments Panel
  • Browse for the attachment file you want to upload, then click the green Upload button
  • Once it has uploaded, click the Manage Current Attachments drop down box
  • Click on Posted Image to insert the attachment into your post

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
i tried extracting it and...

'C:\users\user.... The file is corrupt'

*edit* when i try running the exe file it says 'A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available/'

Edited by Zylocks, 21 April 2009 - 02:59 PM.

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
are these the files..?

two more things

1. Start AVZ.
2. Choose from the menu "File" => "Standard scripts " and mark the “Advanced System Investigation" check box.
3. Click on the "Execute selected scripts".
4. A system check will be automatically performed, and the created logfile (avz_sysinfo.htm) will be saved in the LOG folder in the AVZ directory as virusinfo_syscheck.zip.

step 2" will not work for me. it says it doesn't respond when i try to do it.

also, my friend has TVersity. it's a program that allows you to watch shows from your computer, on your TV through your xbox. after installing and running AV4, and then restarting, the TVersity doesn't work. it first mentioned firewalls being the problem, and then after i restarted the xbox, the TVersity account didn't even show up on it.

>.<

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
TVersity was noted in the AVZ scan but it did nothing to it and recognised it as not a problem. But I did see some other stuff that made me very concerned - to that end I would like you to download a live CD which will work outside of windows. There are full instructions on this PAGE along with the download link, you can also use it to back up data if my worst fears are confirmed.

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
alright, that LiveCD seemed a little complicated. we were thinking of reformatting it.

i looked at the log file thing, and noticed that some of the suspicious files were found on the G and H drive. what does that mean when dealing with reformatting..?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Lets try with the downloadable version - when you download Dr Web rename the file to launch.com see if we can bypass the exe problem this way

Download Dr.Web CureIt to the desktop:
  • Doubleclick the drweb-cureit icon to start the program.
  • press start
  • Allow the program to run the initial express scan
  • This will scan the files currently running in memory. If something is found, click the YES button when it asks you if you want to cure it. This is only a short scan.
    Note: A pop up may appear during this phase suggesting you purchase their program - click the X at the top right corner of this pop-up to close it.
  • Once the short scan has finished, check the Complete scan box on the left side, even if nothing was found on the initial scan.
  • Then click the small green arrow button on the right under the Dr.Web Antivirus picture to start the complete scan. (This scan will take several hours)
  • During this complete scan - if Dr.Web finds an infection a window will pop up requesting your attention. Select the Cure button.
    • Note:(If the file cannot be cured, Dr.Web will automatically delete the file)
  • Once the scan is complete, on the menu bar, click file and choose report list.
  • Save the report to your desktop. The report will be called DrWeb.csv
  • Note:this report will need to be renamed to Dr.Web.txt in order to post it on the forum.
  • Close Dr.Web Cureit.
  • Please post the Dr.Web.txt report in your next reply

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
alright, the reason why i asked about the reformatting was because i am no longer at my friends house, and he isn't the most technical person. i don't really want to have to be on the phone with him, and walk him through it all step by step, without even being able to look at what he's doing.

i will forward this information onto him, although im still wondering about the reformatting. would he be able to just reformat the computer and get a clean sweep? he's got all his stuff backed up on his externals, so he wont lose that much stuff. it's just the suspicious files on the externals that would make me even second guess the reformatting.

if at all answering the reformatting question ASAP would be awesome. he's kind of waiting in limbo for me at the moment, and i hate being in the situation that i'm in.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
We do have a re-format tutorial here which is fairly easy to follow. I would recommend that he scans the external drives with Dr Web before accessing any programmes on them. If you need further help do not hesitate to ask

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
hrm, alright he reformatted his computer no problem, but now he says he cannot install anything on it.

this is what he sent me.

'i cant download any programs from the internet for some reason, i tried avast, firefox, tversity and even itunes and nothing works, any ideas'

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I would need to see what he has so far - can he connect to the net but just cannot download anything ?

Get him to run OTLI and if you could post it here - or if he wants to do it himself let him start a new thread and PM me the link

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.