Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

worm.win32.netsky removal difficulties

• Please log in to reply

Amanda Thompson

Amanda Thompson

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Wow! So this thing has just seem to explode in my system out of nowhere.

I have read through the guides and everything before posting here, and am having some difficulties.

My first problem is that I cannot seem to download anything. I only have the options of "save file" or "cancel" when downloading any of the tools mentioned in the guides. Once I save the file, I have no idea where it goes. I have searched for it and tried to run it both, to no avail.

My second problem is that I do have another computer, so I used it to download the tools mentioned in the guides. I copied them onto a CD and tried to put the disc into the infected computer. My Computer will not open the cd, does not recognize that there is even one in the drive.

My third problem is that my computer will not boot up in either safe mode, or safe mode with networking, only normal and last known configuration.

Symptoms of the system include:
-After logging into my desktop, a popup comes up telling me I have the win.worm32.netsky infection.
-Popups for Internet Security 2010, which I have no idea what that is so I refuse to click on it.
-A microsoft internet explorer popup, that displays nothing, and I don't use IE, I use Firefox. I thought I had uninstalled IE ages ago..
-A yellow bubble at the bottom right corner of my screen, coming from a red X that won't go away from my toolbar, claiming "system warning!" and things of that nature.
-Programs such as system restore will not open, claiming to be infected.

That's all the information I have jotted down to search for help, so is there anyone out there who can get me started on fixing my system?

Also, a last question. I have an Apple iPhone, and have recently put more music onto my iTunes from ripped cds. Is my iPhone at any risk?

Thanks in advance for any help or tips.

NEW ISSUE : READ HERE

http://www.geekstogo...og-t262660.html

-Amanda

Edited by Amanda Thompson, 27 December 2009 - 09:03 PM.

Advertisements

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
Hi.. First of all, it is wise to backup your precious documents/data/pictures/movies/songs/saved games/etc to your external drive first.. Worst case scenario, you might have to reformat the computer..

First of all, do you have any thumbdrive? if yes, can you transfer OTL and GMER to your Computer? Here's the link of the programs I need you to transfer to the infected pc

The Comedian.exe
OTL by OldTimer
GMER's Main Mirror
ComboFix Primary Link

Then tell me if you successfully transfer those programs to your computer.. Don't do anything yet..

Amanda Thompson

Amanda Thompson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Well, now I have a new problem. A couple of days after posting the worm.win32.netsky removal difficulties post, I made a new post.

I combined the two and put them in the waiting room like I was told to do, but that post has been deleted I just discovered.

I haven't tried yet, but can I even run a flash drive with my log-in issue?

I have tried something random though - pressing ctrl+alt+del and it says my task manager has been deleted by the administrator, which of course I didn't - I believe that's the virus talking. Leads me to think that the flash drive won't even run.

Any tips would be so helpful! Thanks for responding!

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
Wait..

First can you log in to your computer? in any mode.. be it Normal or Safe Mode will do, as long you can log into your computer

If yes, please copy/paste those programs to your Desktop

If no, please try "Last Known Good Configuration" first.. If still can't please tell me, we'll try to sort out something :)

Amanda Thompson

Amanda Thompson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Nope, I cannot log in to my user name (there's only one), in any mode.

See:

Thanks for responding :)

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
Do this first...

Open Task Manager (Ctrl + Alt + Del) and go to File >> New Task (Run...) >> type explorer.exe >> Enter

Can you get your Desktop back?

Or via Task Manager, go to File >> New Task (Run...) >> type C:\ >> Enter.. Try navigate C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
Can you find it?

Amanda Thompson

Amanda Thompson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Whenever I ctrl+alt+del, I get a message that says
"Task manager has been deleted by your administrator."
I mean, of course I didn't delete it..

Before the log-in issue, whenever trying ctrl+alt+del,
It said something along the lines of that program being infected and wouldn't open.

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
Ok, lets do a Repair Install.. Seems like some or most of your System files are missing already..

If you're using Windows XP, please refer below

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

If you're using Windows Vista, please refer below..

http://www.bleepingc...utorial148.html

Amanda Thompson

Amanda Thompson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
That's a great informative page!

But I don't have the disc or discs. All of my computer discs were left behind in a move.

Would that disc have been specific to my computer, or can I borrow it off of someone else if I can find it, or can I find it for purchase?

Amanda Thompson

Amanda Thompson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I found this page

http://www.howtohave...setupdisk.shtml

Do you think that will work for me? Or would you have another suggestion?

Will that delete everything on my system? At this point, it doesn't really matter to me - I just want to get my computer back up and running and un-infected!

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
Amanda, to create a bootable disk via your link, you'll need another working computer that has an "i386" folder present.. Can you find such computer?

The best way is through "Repair Install".. You can borrow anyone's Windows XP CD (or Vista if your computer is based on Vista)..

Other things you can try is via Hiren's Boot CD.. Link below..

http://www.hirensbootcd.net/