Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Boots Up Distorted, Mouse Poofed

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Nope...go ahead and install the video driver. I'll get back to you in just a bit with more to do for the update problem.

Advertisements

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Oooops..I had to edit...the driver site doesnt do anything for me here...ill try and access the site myself...can you possibly please tell me which driver I am looking for?

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
ok.right now I am looking at ATI Customer Care...Self Services Drivers and Software...

What am I looking for or to do right now? Am I allowed to post the URL of the page I am looking at?

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 01 March 2006 - 01:40 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click on "Windows ME Drivers and Software", then on "ALL-IN-WONDER", then on "Windows 98/ME Display Driver build 4.13.7192" under RAGE 128 / 128 PRO. Download WMER1284137192.EXE.

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
ok...downloaded. When I clicked it to install....the following message appears:

This software requires DirectX8. DirectX8 is available from Microsoft and may be downloaded from http://www.microsoft...euser/downloads. Do you wish to proceed?

Yes No

Do I?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...please do.

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Installing....Restarting.....hmmm...now there's all these settings....now what?Sorry that was the driver I installed...do I have to install directx8 in order for it to work?

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 01 March 2006 - 02:12 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What kinds of settings?

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
ATI Getting Started
Setting Display Properties
Now that the new display drivers are installed, you may want to take a few moments to familiarize yourself with your graphics accelerator's enhanced features.

For Information on using help, press the F1 key at any time during a Help session

Tell me how to....

Adjust my screen position
Adjust my screen size
Adjust my screen synchronization
Set color correction controls
get more detailed information

Show this screen the next time you start Windows

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
oh hey...i brought up a webpage and it looks great...its not all speckled anymore...and the colors look alot better.... the screen looks abit small...is this where i can just go into Start/Settings/Control Panel/Display and make it larger?

Big smiles..I think we did it wannabe...FINALLY...the line bordering the task bar is still broken though...but the ATI is displaying in my start up at the bottom right along with the sound bell, AVG and Zone Alarm.

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 01 March 2006 - 02:25 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Adjust my screen size <---set that to at least 800 X 600 and "Apply" the change. Uncheck the box by "Show this window..."

Minimize or close that Window and right click on the desktop...choose "Properties". Under the "Settings" tab, select 24 bit color (choose 32 bit if available) and "Apply" the change

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry about the delays...the site seems to be slow in loading at times.

Let's see if we can get your update issue taken care of...

Download this Microsoft Application and install it. Reboot and try to access Windows Updates.

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
PERFECT!!!! Thank you so very much...You hafta know how much of a relief this is!

Do you have time to tackle the Windows Update thing? Does this mean that activex8 is already there and I dont have to think about that?

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 01 March 2006 - 02:34 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I like progress..... :tazz:

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
smiles....well to make you happier.....i just clicked on start and windows updates and it searched them and has come up with 5 Critical & servpacks...3 for ME and Review and install 5....

Whats the story on these things...is it just better to set it to auto update or should I be picking and choosing...this has always confused me

oops..message crossed...I didnt hafta do that...i just clicked as i said to be nosey and its working with the installation of that driver

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 01 March 2006 - 02:39 PM.