Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

amd cpu problem

• Please log in to reply

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
AC97 drivers you can get from a few places they all work, major geeks is the place i usually get them other places lead you on a song and dance to get them sometimes.

Advertisements

fernsy

fernsy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
will it work with my mobo then, also will i need the drivers for the ethernet or are they not needed for it to work. thanks

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Can I just check....have you managed to get the new motherboard working OK?

fernsy

fernsy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
it should arrive tomorrow morning and i really hope that one of my cpu works had enough bad luck already, do you no where i could find the drivers for the mobo, no worries if you dont not really needed. thaks

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK. First of all, get the new board working with one of the CPUs. IF you manage to get it all working OK, THEN worry about the drivers.
If you're planning to install XP, then chances are it will have most of the drivers it needs it anyway. Any it doesn't have, you can download easily enough.

I did have a quick look on Jetway's website, but it was extremely unhelpful & didn't provide any info or drivers for that particular board. Or rather, my patience with using their website ran out before I could track them down.

AC'97 is just a standard that was introduced to standardise integrated devices. The chances are, your new board will probably require the VIA AC97 or cmedia sound card driver or similar (depending on the chipset it uses). Like I said before, worry about that later.

BTW, please remember to clean the old thermal compound off of the cpu die & heatsink & apply fresh compound before installing them in the new board

fernsy

fernsy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
hi, gt my motherboard an installed everything and it boots and i can get on bios etc but it wont boot the os, will the bios load if the cpu is broke which i dont think it is beacuse im getting a reading of it which comes up as 1733mhz when it should be 1500+ which is 1300mhz will it have anything to do with the cpu ratio jumpers.

thanks

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK. Firstly, the bios won't load if the cpu is blown. However, if the cpu is currently clocked at 1.7GHz instead of 1.3GHz, then you need to rectify that immediately. DO NOT use the computer until this is done as you risk overheating the cpu.

I have now managed to find the manual for your motherboard. According to the manual, the cpu clock is set by jumper on the motherboard OR in the bios. I recommend you set it on the board rather than the bios.

Please check & change the following jumpers as necessary :

(Remember to disconnect power first!)

Make a note if the current jumper positions before you change anything, just in case we need to change them back again!

JP7 (2 pin) + JP8 (2 pin) (next to each other, just above the AGP slot) :

JP7 - no jumper
JP8 - jumpered

This will set the FSB to 100MHz

JP4 (Next to the cpu). This is a 10 pin jumper header. When the board is the right way up, it will look like this :

JP4
1 o o
2 o o
3 o o
4 o o
5 o o

You need to place 3 jumpers over the pins marked 1, 4 & 5.
i.e
1 [o o]
2 o o
3 o o
4 [o o]
5 [o o]

This will set the multiplier to 12.5. Obviously this will result in a clock speed of 1.25GHz, rather than 1.3GHz but the manual doesn't give options for anything higher than a multiplier of 12.5.

Let me know what happens. When you power the system on after changing these settings, if you notice that the clock speed is still significantly higher than it should be, then power the system off immediately & let me know

fernsy

fernsy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
ok everythings workings now, part of the problem i found was 1 of the jumpers had come off my hdd, how i dont know lol. unfortunatly i now have a corrupt file ( windows\system32\config\system ) i was reading up on this problem and most people were told just to reformat but ive got a 200 gb hdd and alot off needed files, bit stupid off me but forgot to do a backup.

would this be worth a try http://support.micro...kb/307545/en-us

Edited by fernsy, 20 March 2006 - 06:06 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Funnily enough, I meant to ask you if you had done a fresh install of windows. Obviously not!

To be honest, your best bet at the moment is to backup everything you want to keep, if possible. This means that you need to be able to load windows up in order to back the stuff up. Can you do that or not?

Apart from that, then I think that the procedure in that link from MS's website would be worth a go. However, it does say that the procedure assumes you are using FAT32 file system, as opposed to NTFS. This is something you need to verify if you don't already know which you are using.

If all else fails, if you have a friend with a reasonably new computer & plenty of drive space (or if you have another system yourself), you may be able to simply place the 200GB drive in their computer & backup your files up that way. Remember to backup things like your email inbox, favourites, address book etc as people often forget about these until its too late.
After that, you can format the drive if you wish, or at least try other repair methods without the risk of losing your files.

BTW. This is a perfect example to demonstrate the benefits of having more than a single partition on your hard drive. If you had multiple partitions, you would not be having this problem now as you could simply move all the stuff you need to keep to a partition other than the C drive!

fernsy

fernsy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
i carnt get onto windows at all at the min, and im using ntfs, i tried another hdd earlier which has xp installed on it out of one of my old pc's ad was workig fine but when i plugged it in to the oe im using it got to the stage where it would load the os, just before the blue line moves across, and i get ablue screen with the codes etc

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
In that case, there's a couple of options :

1. Try & boot the drive out of the old pc in safe mode, with the 200GB drive connect as a slave or on the secondary IDE controller. If that works, you can copy your stuff across from the 200GB drive to the old drive.

2. If that doesn't work you could always format the old drive & do a fresh install of XP on it so that it boots up. Then connect up the 200GB drive as well (as described above) & then copy your stuff across.

fernsy

fernsy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
hi is this ever going to end lol, tried 2 more hdds and i cant format them its saying they are damaged when there clearly not, havnt yet tried to format my 200 gb 1, hope its nothig to do with my mobo again, any suggestios. thanks

got it going now just changed the hdd ide to the 2nd slot.

after all that and getting it going with 1 of my old hdd's i tried to add my new 1on slave but then nothing from then on, its not detecting any of the harddrives ive tried all differet combinations and where it should say the primary master etc it just says none i even changed the cd ide's to check it wasnt the other ide and they are still coming up, really confused me.

Edited by fernsy, 21 March 2006 - 05:35 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Right, lets take this one step at a time...

1) Take the drive you are trying to format/install windows to & check the jumpers on the back of it. You need to set it to Master. If you have a problems determining the correct jumper position, let me know the make & model of the drive (written on the label on the top of the drive) & I'll talk you through it.

2) Determine which port on the motherboard is the primary IDE controller (it will be marked on the board itself). Connect the ribbon cable to this port, making sure that the striped edge is at the end of the port marked '1'.
If your cable has different coloured connector on it, then the blue connector must be the one connected to the motherboard. If you don't have a blue connector on the cable, let me know what colours you do have.

3) Attach the drive to the last connector on the cable, then connect the power to it.

4) Repeat the above steps for the optical drive on the secondary IDE controller.

5) Boot up into the bios & let it auto detect the drives.

Let me know what happens

fernsy

fernsy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
hi i tried auto detect but it doesnt detect anything im affraid.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Have you followed the other instructions exactly?
Does the drive spin up at all just after you power the system on? You should be able to hear it spin.

Can you give me the make & model number of the drive please?