Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System 32 folder in startup

• Please log in to reply

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You have to add the c:\rep.txt file as an attachment that it created when you ran the runs.bat file.

Fenor

Advertisements

Mamabeah

Mamabeah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Trying your plan as well, wannabe.

Mamabeah

Mamabeah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Edited by Mamabeah, 05 March 2006 - 04:29 PM.

Mamabeah

Mamabeah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Looks like 3+mb for that file you asked for wannabe. Can't get it here, sorry.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Use this, put your details in then you get the link straight off, copy that and post it here

http://www.spread-it.com/

Mamabeah

Mamabeah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
I think this is the whole registry, using keith's suggestion.

Edited by Mamabeah, 05 March 2006 - 04:29 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Mamabeah...

Click Start, then Run, type regedit, and click "Ok".

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows, then CurrentVersion, and click on Run. In the right pane, locate "Lexmark X1100 Series" and double click on it. Delete the quotes out of the Value Data box and click "Ok".

Reboot...better?

If this one doesn't turn the trick, there are a couple entries under Current User we'll look at. I think they are Adobe hotkeys, though.

wannabe1

Mamabeah

Mamabeah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
no change. And that tkbelle malware is still there, btw.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
tkbelle is used by several legitimate applications as well as the malware I originally suspected. However, in your case, it appears to belong to the RealPlayer installed on your machine...I think we'll leave it.

Click Start, then Run, type regedit, and click "Ok".

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_CURRENT_USER, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows, then CurrentVersion, and click on Run. In the right pane, find the entries "CU1" and "CU2", double click on each one and delete the Data Value (" "), clicking "Ok" after each.

Reboot...

Edited by wannabe1, 05 March 2006 - 02:02 PM.

Mamabeah

Mamabeah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
There wasn't a data value "" in either of those. The only one with that was:

"C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If Messenger had a null Data Value (""), delete that value and reboot. It should look like this:
"C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background

What I'm finding a bit odd is that you have no "Default" strings in either of the registry keys we're working on. I'm looking into that as it just doesn't seem quite right to me.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 05 March 2006 - 02:29 PM.

Mamabeah

Mamabeah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
I vaguely remember CU1" and "CU2 and being asked to try and delete when I was getting rid of adware.

I removed what you said and no change.

Honestly, it's doing my head in, but if you don't think there's a fix for it? It's just weird because that folder never popped up in start up before I got rid of all the nasties on the system.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Oh...there's a fix for this. What's making this tough (aside from the fact that none of the usual "fixes" have been effective) is not knowing exactly what caused it.

While we have so many copies of your registry floating around, let's do a little creative troubleshooting.

In Registry Editor, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows, then CurrentVersion, and click on Run.

Right click in the right pane, point to "New" (like there was a choice... :tazz: ), and select "String Value". Type (Default), and left click the right pane to set the change. The String should look like this: (Default) REG_SZ (value not set)

Then expand (click +) HKEY_CURRENT_USER, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows, then CurrentVersion, and click on Run. Create the Default string value in this key, as well.

Reboot.

In Registry Editor, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows, then CurrentVersion, and click on Run. In the right pane, delete all string values other than the Default string you just created. Then do the same in the CURRENT_USER key. Close Registry Editor.

Reboot...folder still open?

Mamabeah

Mamabeah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
YEAAAHHAHAAA~

It's gone!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
:tazz:

Ok...let's keep our eyes on a couple things.

First, is the printer still listed in Control Panel under Printers and Faxes? Does it work?

Does MS Messenger still work?