Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Connection keeps dropping

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i always hate giving the "go buy another one" advice...but this thing is going crazy..you've done EVERYTHING that i can think of.....if you can find a cheap pcmcia wireless card for the LT or a usb one..it may be worth a try....

Advertisements

hmmm

hmmm

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've been having the same problems with my laptop being the only wireless device effected. I've had the problem before but it seemed to just fix over time or just trying a million different things and it just starting to work after awhile, but it was working perfectly before I had to reinstall windows XP. I've followed everything that you guys have been helping her out with and I came to something when you were talking about stopping the Wireless Zero service. I went in after I had already lost my connection for the 1000+ time and noticed that it had already been stopped. I started it and my connected immediately started working and I've been connected for at least 10 minutes as of this writting. Was wondering if something was causing the service to fail or something was stopping it. :help:

Maybe Susie should just try starting it and see how it goes from there and if it gives no problems for her current session, it might be something that hangs around whes she (and I) log in. I've seen this problem on more than just my own system so I wonder if there is a common problem here? :blink: :whistling:

Aaron, CCNA
IT Contractor/Network Administrator

susiegirl07

susiegirl07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hi Aaron,

I actually had WZC enabled all along during my problem. I just recently disabled it and let my network adapters software run it's own application. Nothing seems to completely stop the connection from dropping which as I'm sure you know is very annoying. I have been changing the channel on the router which gives me possible longer times between disconnecting but still the same problem to no avail.

You are saying that since you started WZC you have had no problems? That is great if it works for you but as I said I no longer run the service. Thanks for your input though maybe one day someone will come up with that magic answer.

Susie

mujurip

mujurip

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Just buy a new pcmcia wireless card. Problem solved :whistling:

http://www.tigerdire...34066&CatId=367

http://www.tigerdire...1272635&CatId=0

Abear

Abear

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I seem to be having the same problem. Also, sorry for digging up dead threads but I need help, this is really just annoying. Problem is my card WAS working properly before I had to reinstall XP. I went through everything...twice. My computer crashed and gave the blue screen of death, and since I really didnt have anything to lose I just decided to reformat. So I installed all the drivers, had to find the right driver for my wireless card, but I got it working. I turned off WZC to let my Dells software control its hardware..course. Anyway, it works but it shuts off just like Susie's. If anyone can help, Id greatly appreciate it. I would rather not have to buy another card considering this one came with my laptop and its still almost top of the line.

Computer - Dell Inspirion 9100
Card - Dell MiniPC 1350
Windows XP SP2
Cable modem
Microsoft MN-700 Router
One other computer on the network, works fine and is wired to the router.

Like I said, everything was working before the reinstall, I would have the occassional disconnect, but it would only happen like once a week, now its every 5-10 minutes and its not getting any better.

Thanks,
Jacob

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello susiegirl07,

I hope you haven't went out and started buying new parts yet... I have read all these posts and I think I may be able to offer some possible solutions. Please answer some quick questions if you would:

1. Do you still currently have WPA and Mac Address filtering, both turned on?

2. What is the EXACT Driver Version of the wireless card you are using?
......how to find out: go to Start->Run->devmgmt.msc->Under "network adapters" right click on the device and select properties->select the "driver" tab->Copy down your Driver Version

3. What is the EXACT Firmware version of your Router?
....How to find out: access your Router's web browser setup -> usually located in the Status or administration areas

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 22 July 2006 - 01:15 PM.

Abear

Abear

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Just to let everyone know, I got mine working correctly. I unistalled the drivers for my wireless card, then reinstalled them and restarted the computer. I dont know why that worked, but it did, so incase anyone else cant figure this out, just try it, maybe it will work.

anfrey

anfrey

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hi everyone... my girlfriend's Dell Inspiron 8600 has the same issue with her wireless. i just read the entirity of this thread and tried everything suggested. it still has the problem from time to time. at first i thought it was because we bought a cheap router (belkin), but it seems there is a deeper underlying problem.

the only event viewer error that shows up regarding this is the DHCP server not allowing the lease for this connection. there is no explanation for why it would forbid it, but i have downloaded a newer driver for the intel pro/wireless lan 2100 3a mini pci adapter from the dell support site, which i will install and try out this evening. hopefully the "new" driver (2005 release date) will solve the issue.

deathninja

deathninja

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
anfrey have you tried a different wireless adapter?

anfrey

anfrey

• Pip
  • 4 posts

anfrey have you tried a different wireless adapter?

i recently purchased a d-link wda-1320 wireless adapter for my desktop, so i'll be testing that out the next couple of days and determining if the relatively cheap belkin router ($30) is one of the contributing sources of these disconnects. as for the laptop, no i have not tried nor obtained a different wireless adapter. it would be best if the solution to the problem did not involve replacing equipment. however, it seems as though this [i]intel pro/wireless lan 2100 3a mini pci adapter[i] (gosh, such a long name!) is of subpar quality, given that more than a handful of people have had issues with it. also, i have never obtained a connection over 11Mbps with this adapter.

i'll post my post-driver-update results during the next couple of days, as well as how well my desktop keeps connection with the d-link wda-1320.

if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations, please post :whistling: thank you!

Advertisements

anfrey

anfrey

• Pip
  • 4 posts
anyone know what this event means?

Type: Information
Source: BROWSER
Category: None
Description: The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{92D54566-7E7B-4A00-86A8-2B1B459CD00D} because a master browser was stopped.

it is occuring fairly often (every couple of minutes, up to every 20 minutes at the longest)... it is usually followed by the following event three seconds later:

Type: Information
Source: tcpip
Category: None
Description: The system detected that network adapter \DEVICE\TCPIP_{92D54566-7E7B-4A00-86A8-2B1B459CD00D} was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network

here is a screenshot of the event viewer window, to illustrate:

Attached Thumbnails

• eventviewer.jpg

anfrey

anfrey

• Pip
  • 4 posts
just to update on the subject:

inner reasoning came to me and it dawned that interference may be an issue... changed the wireless channel to 2447MHz (channel 8). had a couple of the events in the above post at first... then nothing. today, during the whole day, the only system event that appeared for the laptop was one regarding maximum TCP connections.

i brought my desktop over. no issues at all.

guess interference was the problem. ever since i changed the channel, all has been well. problem solved for this user!

ryan b

ryan b

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had this exact same problem with the exact same wireless card: Intel pro/wireless 2100 3a in a Dell Latitude D800.

The problem isn't interference, it isnt the router. The problem has to do with the power settings for the wireless card itself.

To *attempt* to fix it:
1. Right click on "My Network Places" and hit properties.
2. Right click on your wireless connection icon and hit properties.
3. Under the "General" tab, click on the Configure button next to the device description (the button next to the box with the label "Connect Using:"
4. Click on the "Advanced" tab
5. Click on "Power Management" in the list box and then uncheck the "Use Default Value" box and set the slider to "highest".

You may need to update your drivers before you can get to these menus, to do that, go to the Intel website and search their support for drivers for the Intel Pro/Wireless 2100 series. They should only have a couple drivers to choose from.

Before changing these settings, I was always getting disconnected every 5 to 10 minutes (more often when the laptop was unplugged). The problem was effecting me on 4 different routers at different locations (work, school, home, friend's house). Since making this change, I havent gotten disconnected in 4 hours. Hope this helps.

Edited by ryan b, 20 January 2007 - 10:08 AM.

steph37822

steph37822

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I know we're supposed to start new topics, but I'm curious about this as well since I have nearly the exact same system as Susie did, with a NetGear router, and Intel Pro Wireless 2200BG card.

I just did what was previously suggested by the last poster, and my connection went back to low and very low. I tried my laptop at my library, and the connection was Excellent.

I also had to reinstall XP after my hard drive crashed and was replaced 4 days ago. 5 days ago my laptop worked in the exact same location on very good, and good. Now it is low and very low and cuts off frequently.

If it works in another location can someone tell me what problem this may indicate--if it's a router issue, or wireless adapter issue or both?

I have spoken to 3 people from Dell, and 3 people from NetGear, who have told me everything they can think of to reverse this, and no one can fix this problem. Did everyone else find solutions?

Thanks.

Edited by steph37822, 29 January 2007 - 12:02 PM.

bravo369

bravo369

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am having this problems also with my Dell 8600 with Intel 2100 wireless adapter. It's only a B adapter. The wireless network is a G network with a linksys router. I have tried everything suggested in this forum and then some yet my wireless still kicks out. If it helps, it seems like it is stable if I just do the normal surfing but whenever I try to do anything with a lot of data, it disconnects. examples include things like youtube, downloading files etc. To me, it's definately related to that because I tried downloading a 5MB file about 5 times with wireless kicking out each time i started the download. I finally got it downloaded but if a file is 20MB or more, i don't even bother because I know it won't happen unless it's a torrent file. It even happens if I'm right next to the router. Right now signal quality is 100% and strength is 88%

Things I've done so far...
upgraded router firmware
updated laptop BIOS
Updated wireless drivers
Checked power settings
disabled wireless zero configuration

I even reformatted my machine (for another reason) and the problem still appears. I contemplated buying a G internal card on ebay but it still doesn't explain why this would have the problems it does. I would give anything to figure this one out