Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The Site Administrators Birthday

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I am sure all those who visit Geeks To Go either to seek help, or help out, would like to take this opportunity to wish Admin a Happy Birthday

This is his own view of the circumstances which lead up to the creation of a site for which we can all be grateful

" I read an article (I think in Forbes) about the fastest growing franchises of the past year. One of them was Geeks on Call. I thought it was a cool idea, and fit well with my passion for computers. So, I thought about starting an on-site computer repair business myself. However, none of the franchises met my needs. I was very surprised to find that geekstogo.com was available, so I registered it.

Over the next year or so I did a lot of research, determining if my local market would support such a business, deciding if it was really what I wanted to do, etc. I also worked on developing a site. Well, the owner of geeks2go.com (now defunct ) discovered my beta site, and had his lawyer send me a letter threatening trademark violation. I found out it would take a $1,400 retainer just to consider the case, and actual legal fees would be much higher -- even though I would likely win. That plus the fact that I was becoming more successful in my day job lead me to put it on the back burner.

That back burner happened to be a free computer help forum. For the first six months or so it was just myself, and although it was VERY slow to start, I was surprised how fast it grew. We had MANY months of exponential growth (doubling traffic every month). I remember my first hosting plan was $10/YEAR. Then I think I met our current server admin, and got on shared server for $10/mo. Next it was a small dedicated server at $100/mo, and now we have multiple very large servers -- at almost $1,000/mo.

When it was just myself, I never had any advertising or donation links. As we grew, and the expenses became higher we tried donations to the site. However, it soon became clear to me that it would be more fair to allow the helpers to receive donations, and try to pay the expenses through non-obtrusive advertising. At the time, that created quite a stir. I think time has proven that it works well!

I still have my day job, and I still get a real kick out of helping others. My time in the public forums has unfortunately become limited as admin and other responsibilities with a larger site take more of my time (as well as my one-year old daughter ). Long story short, someday we still may expand into on-site repair, or other areas, but I'm actually thankful to the jerk that threatened to sue me. I've spent countless hours here, and it's taken a huge commitment, but of course, I could NEVER do it alone. The wonderful staff here is what makes Geeks to Go so special! "

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Admin rocks. :tazz:

Antartic-Boy

Antartic-Boy

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,120 posts
:) HappY BirthaY AdmiN ! :tazz:

Jayzeee

Jayzeee

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
:tazz: Happy Birthday Admin :)

jrom727

jrom727

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
I hope you'll have a great day! (or having a great day so far! :))

Happy Birthday Admin! :) :tazz:

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
yay! Happy birthday again Blair! :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
admin's my homegirl...YOU ROCK IN FISHNETS!!!

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Happy Belated Birthday Admin!

I'm new here but wish to say that I thank goodness that there are people like you and your wonderful staff here and available to help out and educate those less fortunate tekkie types like me...I still have some lil computer problems but we are working on em..and I am learning sooo very much in the process...as frustrating as it might be at times :)

Again..Happy Belated Birthday (sorry I missed it yesterday but with it being March Break and all... the Mall was priority one) and Thanks again for bringing Geeks2Go into this virtual world of ours! :tazz:

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts

admin's my homegirl...YOU ROCK IN FISHNETS!!!

Wrong topic and wrong Admin,
You twisted little monkey :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Wrong topic and wrong Admin,

i think not....you just haven't been privelaged

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Oh, have I missed your birthday, I will have to sing something else then, something to help anyone here who has little children,
here goes.....1......2.......3.....
...happy bathday to you...
...happy bathday to you...
...happy bathday dear admin...
...happy bathday to you.

Oh, and there is ...happy bedtime... too.

Anyway, important thing is to mention how much I appreciate this site and its members.