Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My PC keeps restarting for no reason!

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...for a full reinstall you should always do the FULL FORMAT option....for a repair...that's just the point where you know you've gone too far through the menus....

Advertisements

Buttercuff

Buttercuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
One of the problems was also

NTLDR is missing press CLTR ALT DEL

but not sure if that problem has gone away now that i have installed new WinXP!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
let me ask for a hand on this one...

Buttercuff

Buttercuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
This problem i have: something i have done wrong? It came out of the blue!

Buttercuff

Buttercuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Question: if i were to completely format my C drive and tried to reinstall WinXP ... would that help? I did that a few days ago but i still got crashed during the installation process!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's possible....the problem is is that something seems to be screwing up the installation...either the HD is having issues or ram is having issues or something else

Buttercuff

Buttercuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
One of the first error messages i got was something like:

TRAP 00000005 EXCEPTION

tr=0028 cr=00000011 cr2=00000000 cr= 00000000

gdt limit=03FF base=00017000 lcit limit=07FF base=00017400

cs:eip=0008:00404514 ss:esp=0010:0010:00060EA8 errcode=0000

and a few more lines

puxxx

puxxx

• Pip
  • 2 posts
any ideas what to do if win installation was corrupted by the blackout? now i cant do anything properly!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If after a fresh installation of XP you still have the crashes then your problem is most likely a hardware or BIOS one. The problem can be anywhere in the system. Quite often serious hardware failures are accompanied by different BSODs (blue screens) and error messages of inconsisten nature. I would do the following:

Run the computer for a while and then enter BIOS. In Computer Health or some other menu of the same nature look for CPU, HD and motherboard temps. Also look and report system voltages (should be in the same page)

If your computer is inoperable use another computer (hopefully this is possible) and download from Microsoft (a link in my signature) Memory diagnostic tool. Make a bootup floppy or CD and run it for 30 minutes at least. Report any error if there is any.

Identify your C drive manufacturer and download a diagnostic software (links in my signature). Prepare a bootable floppy or CD if necessary and run a quick, and then a full test. Report results.

If you don't find anything wrong up to this point then you will have to test the bios by unplugging the computer from the wall socket, open the box, take out carefully the round battery, leave it out for about 20 minutes, reinstall it, run the computer and set time and date.

Other steps would be to disconnect any nonessential piece of hardware and run the computer and after that try to replace the video card tepmorarilly.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Shut off the auto-restart. If you can get the comp to boot, tap F8 and it should be one of the choices on the menu with last known good config, start windows normally, safe mode etc

or
control panel> System> Advanced> Start Up & Recovery Settings

write down the exact error code when it blue screens and post it here.

Johanna

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Are you trying to install win xp on that pc with only 1 harddrive hooked up to it? Or do you have more than 1 harddrive hooked up?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Sorry to bump but if I knew if it had 1 or more harddrives in it I could help you out and tell you what the problem would be.

Im thinking that the harddrive got corrupted so take it out and try a harddrive that you know is good, do a full format and install a fresh copy of win xp.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
jrm...there are two hd's in the machine..but one h as all the video and music on it....already investigated that route

Buttercuff

Buttercuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
So if i take out hard drive that i use for C drive currently and replace it with the hard drive that i'm using for drive D that could fix the problem?

I'll try that tomorrow ...

Need to tell that i have already had hardware problems (i think it was motherboard) when my PC was freezing all the time!

Buttercuff

Buttercuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Are you trying to install win xp on that pc with only 1 harddrive hooked up to it? Or do you have more than 1 harddrive hooked up?

I have two PCs ... obviously this one works fine but both my PC have 2 hard drives :tazz: