Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Print spooler service stopped

• Please log in to reply

daphnew

daphnew

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello,

My OS is Windows XP SP2 (Media Center).

I recently was in the Geeks to Go malware forum and received wonderful help getting rid of a Winfixer virus.

At the same time, I asked for help removing some extraneous files that stuck around after I removed a Lexmark printer from my system.

I should have left well enough alone because the fix for the Lexmark files had an unintended effect -- my Dell and internal printers are gone and I can't re-start the print spooler service.

After going to services.msc and trying to re-start the service, I get this error message:

Error 1068: Dependency service or group failed to start

My problem and possible solutions are described here.

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;324757

The first fix they recommend didn't work (I get a message that my Lexbce file is missing even though I found it on my hard drive).

There is a complicated Registry fix described, but I wonder since I have my System Restore turned off because of the virus issue, would it work to go back to a previous point... and then remove the winfixer virus again? It was easy to remove with the most recent version of Vundofix.

Also, the nice fellow helping me with this in the malware forum had me save Registry back-up before I deleted the Lexmark files if that is of any help.

Thank you very much for any guidance and assistance.

Daphne

Advertisements