Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Shared Printer Problem

• Please log in to reply

almara

almara

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am having a problem printing on a home network. The printer (Epson Stylus Color D68 inkjet) is connected by USB to a desktop and is also installed as a shared printer on a laptop. The network is set up and running properly - the laptop can connect to the internet via the desktop and file sharing between the two PCs operates normally. The printer can be seen on both PCs - on the desktop it is set up to share while on the laptop it shows as a shared printer (with the icon underlined in yellow). When I send a print job from the laptop it appears in the print queue on the desktop with status as “printing” and owner as “guest” but the job never prints. OS is Windows XP Home SP2.
I have tried the following:-
(1) Reinstalling printer on both machines.
(2) Installing latest Epson driver.
(3) Setting printer to print direct rather than spooling.
(4) Checking that print spooling service is started and set to automatic at startup.
None of the above has made any difference - can anyone help please?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
My firewall told me Epson status monitor was trying to prevent a printer running by modifying a registry key, have you checked it can still run at start up

Do you have an icon for it in the taskbar

almara

almara

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks Keith - it appears with a tick on startup in the system configuration utility and there is an icon on the taskbar.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you closed the browser, disabled the firewall and then tried

almara

almara

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I've tried with firewall turned off on both machines - no difference. Not sure about turning off browser (IE) - it's not open when I'm trying to print as far as I know.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click e-talk, you get a live technician, maybe they can see the problem

http://esupport.epso...E065427446AE8D9

almara

almara

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks. Epson supplied the answer, The Epson status monitor needs to be enabled to monitor shared printers. The route top find this if anyone has a similar problem is right click printer icon > printing preferences > maintenance > speed & progress > monitoring preferences.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for posting the solution