Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What do I do

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
can you go to http://www.mbhs.edu/...rn/boot98se.exe and download that program to your desktop..now put a floppy in the computer and double click that .exe file...it will format the disk to be a boot disk... then we can see if we can get that cd to boot....

unfortunately i have to go home and won't be back here till tomorrow...but..

what i want you to do is make that boot floppy...then put BOTH the floppy and the cdrom into the computer...and restart...let the machine boot to the floppy (it may give you an option to boot to cdrom support or something like that..been a while since i've done this)...if it does that see if you can get that cd to actually boot up (if it does you will see the computer say something about setup inspecting your computer)...once there...click on the UBCD button in the bottom left...then go to programs> file management > explorers >explorerxp

once there...look for any files or folders on the c:\ drive that end in .{clsid} (they should also have the control panel icon) right click on any of those files and folders and choose rename...a window will come up with a greyed out box at the top with the file/folder name in it..and two boxes at the bottom..one with the folder name...and one with the .{clsid} in it....just highlight and delete anything in that second box...

once you remove the end of the file/folder name there...right clikc on the file and choose properties..then uncheck the hidden and read only attributes and press ok...do that for all folders that have the .{whatever} ending...

Advertisements

jkmira

jkmira

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
if a floppy is one of those plastic diskettes than I have a small problem. The computer I'm on now dosen't have a floppy drive just a cd-rom and dvd r/w

jkmira

jkmira

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
well I'll see what I can do till next time thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
son of a....

in nero burning rom
choose file
then new
then data disk (boot)
when it asks for the image source put the c drive
then for the stuff to burn to the cd put that ISO image from the other cd (you should probably copy the file from the cd to the desktop or something )
then burn the cd and we'll see if it will boot...

jkmira

jkmira

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I want to say thanks for all the help but I think I'm gonna just scrap the whole thing. The bootable disk didn't work. My nero program said it has an image of a bootable floppy to use apparntly knowing this unit had no A:\ drive. but the disk just didn't do anything. perhaps I'll just find a way to wipe the whole thing and start over or just give up entirely but this problem is just a bit too irritating to deal with. well thanks again for all the help.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi again, jkmira...

Would you mind trying a command or two for me?

At the C:\ prompt and type windows.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}\command\scanreg /restore (note the space before /restore)

If you receive an error, please post it here.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 05 April 2006 - 04:16 PM.

jkmira

jkmira

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
when trying an earlier attempt to repair the problem by remaning the file window~1{21 it was remaned to window should I try that with just window insted of windows.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}. seeing as how it was sucessfully remaned or am I looking for a previous file before it was remaned

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
No...if the rename was successful, use just windows.

C:\windows\command\scanreg /restore

I'm trying to determine if we can get into the windows folder and to what extent we can use what's in there. To be honest, the situation is not looking good. That being said, we'd still like to try a few things.

jkmira

jkmira

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
well a blue screen came up and said No backups were found to restore

I'm guessing that may be from the high memory area not being available it also couldn't find win.com to load windows

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That wasn't totally unexpected, BUT...we were in the Windows folder and executed the command program. This is good...how good, I don't know yet.

Do you have the Win98 installation cd?

Advertisements

jkmira

jkmira

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I only have the diskette I made from the control panal. I got the computer a few years ago from an old boss of mine and got just that the computer. A little ldissapointing because I had a lot of good programs on there and no disks to reinstall them if neccessary. even more dissapointing is the computer I'm usuing now doesn't have an a:\ drive to make any bootable diskettes for the USBC program dsenette had me download to use and the bootable cd I made didn't work so basically no I don't have a cd for windows

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
:whistling:

Let's play with it a bit more...

At the C:\ prompt, type windows\dir /p, and press "Enter".

See if you can find regedit.exe in the list.

jkmira

jkmira

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
well I typed dir window/p and I saw the file in the list

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
At the C:\ prompt, type windows\command\scandisk, and press "Enter".

Does scandisk run?

jkmira

jkmira

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
when I type window\command\scandisk it comes back and tells me No extended memory driver loaded, It also says to make sure you have a HIMEM.sys file which is one of the files missing or corrupted I suspect due to the program