Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP freezes

• Please log in to reply

treehgr1

treehgr1

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
On startup, windows locks up. It takes forever to get anything to run or windows to open. It will happen eventually but... :whistling:

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there treehgr1, welcome to Geeks To Go Forums.

Try booting into safemode, and see if the problem persists. What programs have you loaded in the past few days, since you have been having this problem???

COol :whistling:

Foxy5299

Foxy5299

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Mine is doing the same thing but will go into safe mode no problem

treehgr1

treehgr1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Safe Mode doesn't work. When I try to start it runs through the list of files then stops on System32\Drivers\iomdisk. I left it for 2 hrs and it did nothing.

treehgr1

treehgr1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I haven't loaded any programs recently. The only thing I can think of is iTunes and I already had it, I just updated it

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Ok treehgr1, do this:

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

This will try and repair windows damaged files, and may help fix your problem.

Let me know how thing go. Cool :blink:

Ask for you Foxy may you please start another topic. Thanks :whistling:

treehgr1

treehgr1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Check them here using the links at the top

http://www.3davenue.com/startup/

I was reading another post and came across this quote. When I look at my process I have 5 svchost.exe running. According to the site above they are linked to trojans and worms? Could this be the problem?

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Yes this is possible. But at this very moment I also have 5 svchost.exe running and I am NOT infected with malware. Malware removal is left to the last option. Let us try the solutions I have supplied. If this solutions do not work we will continue on to malware removal.

Cool :whistling:

treehgr1

treehgr1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I did everything you said. When I rebooted for the chkdsk it said it cannot open volume for direct access, then it says it's done checking the disk and continues to load into windows. And my problem still exsists.

treehgr1

treehgr1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Also, at startup when everything is running so slow, if I contol Alt Delete and wait 10 min for the task manager to open and click the processes tab explorer.exe is using 99% of my cpu.

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Ok, lets try the next solution. (Malware Removal)

So please read this: Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log (Click on the link)

That will give you steps that will help you clean up 70% of the problems yourself. Then please download "Hijackthis" and run Hijackthis with log. Save the log file here: Malware Removal - HiJackThis Logs Go Here

When you have followed all these steps. A Geeks To Go Staff Member will help you fix your problem.

(Note: Please be patient, the "Malware Forum" is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual.)

Thank you and goodluck. :whistling:

Edit: Please PM if your problem was infact malware. Thanks...

Edited by spike_hacker_inc, 03 April 2006 - 03:08 PM.

treehgr1

treehgr1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I've removed all malware but the cpu problem still exists, it still won't let chkdsk /f /r run at startup. Please don't tell me I need to reformat.

Thanks

treehgr1

treehgr1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
More info if it helps. If I enter task manager and end the explorer.exe process and then restart it everything works fine. It does it again when I reboot though. Can you help? Thanks

daniel_c

daniel_c

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
ive had that same problem before! what i did was just fortmat my hardrive, now everything runs smoothly.
or another option is to download tune up utilities it's a very good program and it will help your pc run smother

Edited by daniel_c, 07 April 2006 - 12:18 AM.