Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Format C: drive-move necessary files to Slave

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I don't use Ghost so I probably won't be a lot of help, but you will have to install and run it from the drive with Windows installed and install the image to the new drive.

Advertisements

aurora_ads_stink

aurora_ads_stink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
ok well wich folders do i need to backup so i can run XP ? o nthe other hard drvie

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You need to image the whole partition.

Why is it that you need to format the C: drive?

aurora_ads_stink

aurora_ads_stink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
i have so much crap i dont want on it, i lost my original XP disk so i just wanted a way to get windows over to my second hard drive, then id switch that to the master.

Edited by aurora_ads_stink, 09 April 2006 - 12:59 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'm not going to tell you not to do this, but I am going to advise strongly against it. What you are trying to accomplish can prove difficult even to those of us who have done it before. A single "oops" moment could leave you without an operating system and no options as you have no cd. I'd really hate to see you end up with a very large paperweight.

I would rather help you clean out what you don't want and tune up the current, functioning operating system than take the chance of losing everything. As I said earlier...I'm not very familiar with using Norton, though I'm sure we could round someone up that is. Still, with no Installation CD to fall back on, I'm sure they would be hesitant, too. Just too many things that could go wrong.

Do me a favor and sleep on it. It's just not as easy to accomplish as one would think. It will certainly take a little longer to clean the machine up, but the results will be more predictable.

That being said, it IS your call...

wannabe1

aurora_ads_stink

aurora_ads_stink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
i dont know, i think i wanna do it cuz i can always get an XP disk from my friend if i really need it

TakeBK

TakeBK

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

I'm not going to tell you not to do this, but I am going to advise strongly against it. What you are trying to accomplish can prove difficult even to those of us who have done it before. A single "oops" moment could leave you without an operating system and no options as you have no cd. I'd really hate to see you end up with a very large paperweight.

wannabe1

I agree with wannabe on this one.Sometimes it is not even the user error the program just has a hiccup midway and you are screwed.

Besides if you make an image with the software suggested of your drive now and it is buggered in any way with Spyware/Malware Left Over,Improperly Uninstall Programs,Corrupt files.It will be buggered on the "new" drive also.So all you gained was a newer drive with the same problems.

What I would recommend so your OS is clean. Is On the old drive create a folder (Whatever You name it) and use the "File settings and transfer wizard" Start / Programs / Acessories / System Tools .

When it asks just say "this is old drive".Choose all the settings and folders you want backed up.

Install the OS on the new drive "with the old drive out" Do all the microsoft updates.Load any programs you want in it .Update all the drivers you need to.Do a disk defrag.

Put the old drive in as slave then use the "File setting transfer Wizard again on the new machine but this time when it asks you will say "it is the new computer" ,then point it to the folder you made on the old one.

Check out whatever else you want to move (Pictures,Movies,Music ect... with copy and pasting from old to new .Then do what you want with the old one,keep it as back up as is or (Once you are satisfied you have Everything you want off of it and running Ok)

Format(old ) for a clean blank Storage drive.

Notes::::::::::::::::::

Make sure you have all your drivers together for any hardware you have before you start this process.Some drivers are not easy to find.Or in some rare cases not at all because they are not supported anymore.You just dont want to get stuck 1/2 way through and find this out.

In other words get your S^%$ together before hand

Just my 2cents, If it made any

Good Luck

Regards,

TakeBK

P.S.

If you choose to go ahead with the "Ghost" I never used any of the other image software above so I don't know if this applies to them but in Nortons "Ghost" you have to use the same exact size drives.Or at least the one getting the snap shot has to be bigger than th "Old " one.So check into that also.

Example:

Old / New

80 GIG to 80 GIG Works

80 GIG to 120 GIG Works

80 GIG to 60 GIG Wont work

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Ghost had never fails me. In order to do this you will need at least ghost PE and up. Best way to do this is make a bootable floppy and copy ghost PE.exe onto it. set the machine to boot from floppy. execuse ghost and follow intruction. The option you may want is Disk To Disk. this will clone your A HD to your B HD. what you will have at the end is two identical HD and you can set to boot from any one of them and the machine won't even notice. the differrence. and the two can even paralell exist on windows system.
The idea of have to use two exact HD is not true. I have alway use two different HD in sizes and manufactures...... as long as the destination HD big enough to hold the actual data. The only risk of using this is pick out wrong source drive and destination drive. and again by using HD indifference sizes will prevent you to mix up between the two.
Ghost has alway been with me for last 5 years to do backup image of my HD. I have some time 6 machines running and I do weekly backup on every one of them.
Hope this will help.